Author Topic: Help with Identifying Metals  (Read 1562 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Help with Identifying Metals
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »
I've been picking up a lot of hardware lately.  Do you guys have any tips for determining between brass/bronze or any other common metals?  I know about testing with magnets.  But it's hard to differentiate the shade of metal, especially with tarnish.

Here's some stuff that's not magnetic, I'm guessing it's all brass.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Help with Identifying Metals
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:53:43 am »
Copper is very soft and has a “reddish” gold color and is easily bent, scratched, dented or eroded away due to friction caused by rubbing against another object.

Brass is a mixture of copper and zinc, is quite hard and has a “yellowish” gold color. 

Zinc is a “silver” colored metal.

See following photo.

All cabinet, door and/or house hardware is either made from “cast” brass (thick) or via “stamped” brass (thin) because of its durability. 

Thus said, your photos #1 and #4 are “cast” brass items and photos #2 and #3 are “stamped” brass items.

Source link of photo:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:09:06 pm »
Are most non-magnetic handles/pulls brass?  These 2 are solid and heavy, non-magnetic.  Are they likely brass or another metal?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:12:30 pm by rustyattic »

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:16:20 pm »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:39 pm »
Most all door, drawer ect hardware are brass !! Very rarely will you find bronze !! To tell the difference just get a nail, knife ect and scratch the back !! Like Cogar said brass will be a yellow gold color,, bronze will be a darker red-umber,, copper a brighter red !!  Exact color will depend on the mixture used,, can be lighter or darker,, they are not all exact same tone !!  Some brasses are a bit darker than others !!  Its easy after you look at enough of it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:04 am »
an just to confuse you a little bit more....phosphorus-bronze.....when scratched is a dark yellow....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,