Author Topic: Need advice on painted Berkey & Gay bedroom furniture  (Read 5789 times)

waitb

• View Profile
Need advice on painted Berkey & Gay bedroom furniture
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »
I inherited some Berkey & Gay pieces that are hand painted.  I don't know anything about them. Does this style look familiar? How can I tell their age?

Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on painted Berkey & Gay bedroom furniture
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:26:42 am »
If these are genuine....and they do look like they are, then..you are looking at $$$$......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:35:50 am »
If these are genuine....and they do look like they are, then..you are looking at $$$$......

Wullie's right. Don't do a thing to them, especially paint them!!  I didn't know that Berkey & Gay did cottage style furniture, but here's the evidence; these look like early 20th century. I'd send these photos to a reputable high end antique dealer to get a value.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:24 am »
http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3391/berkey-and-gay-furniture-co

Company History as well as dating by tags !! Yours dates from the last years of operation !!  ?These do not sell for as much as the early ones do unfortunately !!  Still it is nice cottage type furniture !!

waitb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
Thanks everyone.  They are really well built and work as though they were made yesterday.  Per your recommendation, I will ask a local dealer to look at them.

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »
Local dealers rarely give an accurate evaluation !!  Try asking at least three different dealers then come back here if you don`t agree  !!  Are you planning on selling them ??
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:10:58 pm by mart »

waitb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »
OK. Will try to find three dealers and check back.  I am planning to sell them.

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »
If you are planning on selling them,,check ebay for similar pieces !! That will give you an idea of what people are actually paying !! Don`t go by the starting prices,,many of those are way out of line,,check actual bids and look at completed sales !!

waitb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:10 pm »
OK thanks. Wondered if selling on eBay was way to go. I sell smaller things but wasn't sure about furniture given shipping costs etc. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:15:51 pm »
Why worry about the shipping costs.....its the buyer who pays for that...not you....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:46:34 pm by bigwull »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:51 pm »
Its not the cost that's a pain,, its getting it ready and packed correctly for shipping without damage !!  Myself,, I would not do ebay for furniture unless you use the "local pick up" option !!  People will drive many miles if its something they really want !! That might be your best bet,,!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
Well, I would beg to differ Mart...cast your mind back to when i joined the forum...and rfequested info...on...that table....that turned out to be a Japanese Hibachi...i sold that on ebay,....made a crate for it....The buyer paid me for the wood and the making of the crate,then paid for the postage,...the buyers total cost for the crate, my labour, and postage came to £175....had the buyer opted for collection in person....they would have incurred a cost of £150 for fuel....and 16 hours driving to and from me....
then there was what i bought last week,...a model boat,.collection only......for me to collect,would have cost me £110 in fuel, and 16+ hours driving ..there and back,..but the seller allowed me .to... send a large crate, that cost £10 to build, then i paid the postage both ways....my total cost was £35,...and the model arrived safely....
more often than not...its a case of sellers who can,t be bothered packing things properly...I,ve sent crates to CA,..Fl....Il.....and they all arrived safely....and everytime the buyer was happy to pay....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »
Where are you located?

Great advice given!  Get several REPUTABLE suotes.

Post more pics and we can try and help you out as well!!

NICE PIECES!!!

Are you saving anything?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waitb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:39 pm »

All great advice.  I really like them, and as I said, the quality and craftsmanship is really solid.  However, I need to sell the whole set: 1 dresser, 1 taller dresser, and 2 night stands.  I live in the SF Bay area.

I am new to this forum and am quite impressed.  You are all so helpful.  I really appreciate it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:38 pm »
Do you have the bed too ?? In your area you might want to try Craigslist !! They should be an easy sell !! And remember to add a few dollars to whatever you ask for them !! People just have to deal a bit !! But its good furniture so don`t go lower than your price !!