Author Topic: Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!  (Read 4810 times)

capn

• View Profile
Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »
Hi guys.
Super stumped here.

Bought these cheap at an auction tonight. No one, including the auctioneer had any idea what they were. They looked very old and just spoke to me.

I really don't even have any ideas here.
I am guessing they are made of brass/bronze/copper? not sure. Just basing it off of the oxidation.

There are 5 solid pieces that have holes all the way through them. 3 are UFO shaped and 2 are slightly conical. Tried to show this as best I can in the pics. They are solid, not hollow. They have carved/stamped decorations around them. One has a 6 pointed star with a grid patter, others that look like rays, etc.

There is also a hollow metal piece with 2 cones going into it. Very odd. The ball portion seems to be 2 sperate pieces connected together.

There is also have a circle of thin metal with 2 holes at the bottom, and hot air balloon/whale shaped piece of thin metal.

Finally there is what looks like a tiny spoon. Has a hole near the base of the spoon part and hand-decorated on the actually surface of the spoon.

NO IDEA if these are at all related or not. Someone placed them in a display case as a grouping.

I can get more pics if need be. Penny is for reference.

I would love any help! I'd be very impressed if anyone can positively ID any of this.

Thanks guys

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:18:10 pm by capn »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:05:49 am »
They all look like "finds" via a metal detector. Maybe from where a house had burned to the ground.

The spoon no doubt had a fancy handle on it at one time.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:14:53 am »
I agree cogar the spoon was a spoon as far as the other pieces they look like some form of beading used to make jewelry. 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
Around here, those items might be represented as "Fur Trade Artifacts", found at an old fort or camp site. I couldn't tell you for sure, but to me, they do have a rather "tribal look". The two attachments on the sphere are similar to the "tin cones" found on Native American accessories.
I'll do some looking later.

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:14 am »
Thanks for the info so far guys.
I was thinking both metal detector finds and trade items/beads as well.

Any way to roughly date how old they might be?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:24 am »
The ball shaped item looks like some of the ball fasteners for ladies purses from the 30`s !! Would have been one on each side that slightly overlapped and when pushed together !!That overlap would have held it closed !! The cone shapes would have been attached to a brass rod that went through the length side to side !! Fastener in center !!  Pics are too big for me to see the other items !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »
The ball shaped item looks like some of the ball fasteners for ladies purses from the 30`s !! Would have been one on each side that slightly overlapped and when pushed together !!That overlap would have held it closed !! The cone shapes would have been attached to a brass rod that went through the length side to side !! Fastener in center !!  Pics are too big for me to see the other items !!

It's definitely early 1800s at the latest when you see it in hand based on the construction.
Looking at it more closely and in relation to the others possibly being trade beads, I beleve the ball piece with the cones could have been the centerpiece for a necklace where string/leather would have gone into each end and been tightened (or gone through the whole piece).
Just a guess.

What do you mean the pics are too big? Wouldn't bigger be easier to see?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:47:48 pm by capn »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
They are over the limit for this site and since I am on dial up they don`t load well !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:46 pm »
They are over the limit for this site and since I am on dial up they don`t load well !!

Oh, I didn't know there was a limit. I just used tinypic

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:47:56 pm »
Also makes a difference if you use phone or digital camera as to what size they wind up  !!

The ball shaped items are likely molded brass or copper from the green verdigris !! If from the early 1800`s would have been cast rather than molded in my opinion and more than likely the ball would be solid !!  Would have been simple to cast a ball with a flat plate for the cones that could be formed after cooling !!  Don`t think they would have went to the trouble to mold the two halves then put them together for a cheap necklace !!  Doesn`t make much sense to me !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »
Also makes a difference if you use phone or digital camera as to what size they wind up  !!

The ball shaped items are likely molded brass or copper from the green verdigris !! If from the early 1800`s would have been cast rather than molded in my opinion and more than likely the ball would be solid !!  Would have been simple to cast a ball with a flat plate for the cones that could be formed after cooling !!  Don`t think they would have went to the trouble to mold the two halves then put them together for a cheap necklace !!  Doesn`t make much sense to me !!

The pics were taken with a phone.
The bead type items with the holes are solid, case pieces of metal. The only piece that isn't is the object with the 2 small funnels. It appears to be hand-made, thin tin-type material. Rolled/molded flat metal. They obviously needed it to be hollow for a particular reason. I don't know how they would have cast a hollow piece like this with this thin of metal...

The necklace was a guess.

These are far too primitive in my opinion to possibly be from the 20th century.

But I'd really like to see if anybody knows exactly what some or all of these objects are.

After some research I think Rauville is right. Just trying to find some more specifics

thanks mart
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:05:20 pm by capn »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:32:44 pm »
The spoon is a mote spoon!  Used for tea...the straight end was to pick the tea leaves out of the spout because each leaf was precious/valuable.  Just search "mote spoon" and you will observe many.

The rounded ball with the two stems coming out reminds me of those found in older pen/desk sets - pivoting holder for 2 pens...but missing the extensions on it.  Here is a pic of an older set but single pen holders....
https://www.etsy.com/listing/118968010/green-marble-onyx-double-desk-set-pen?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=vintage_low&gclid=COaEpdq1orsCFeHm7AodZwgAKw

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:38:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:18 am »
Thanks, KC, it's always a good day whenever I learn something new.  ;D

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:13 am »
Thanks KC for the info on the spoon!

For the odd object, I wish you guys could see it in hand. It's very hard to describe and I don't think the pictures are really showing what it is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:41 am »
The fish shaped object could be a rest for a snuff spoon or dipper !!