Author Topic: What shall I do with this furniture?  (Read 3967 times)

michael87

• View Profile
What shall I do with this furniture?
« on: December 08, 2013, 09:33:46 am »
Firstly, id like to apologise if this is the wrong area for posting such a question.

Recently a member of my family passed away and I spend yesterday cleaning out his apartment, the majority of his possessions have been passed on to someone in the family who wanted them, however there is furniture left which I'm not sure what to do with, I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on these items and if they would be worth anything to justify the time I'd need to spend removing them from the apartment and putting up for sale.

Here are some images, I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks again

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: What shall I do with this furniture?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:04:12 am »
Hi,Welcome...I will assume you are on my side of the pond...UK....your first pic is of a drop leaf bureau,...in oak,circa 1930,s,....value £35/£50.....the 2nd is a bedside cabinet,..could be elm...with brass castors.circa,1920,s/30,s .value £50/£75.+..3rd..a hostess table,.....not sure of the wood, circa, 1930,s value,..£40/£50.....4..dressing table ..in dark oak....circa 1920,s/30,s.....value,....£40/£60...5....lowboy....circa 1930,s/40,s ..value...£30+.....the Tatung TV....£10......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

michael87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:25:39 am »
Hi,Welcome...I will assume you are on my side of the pond...UK....your first pic is of a drop leaf bureau,...in oak,circa 1930,s,....value £35/£50.....the 2nd is a bedside cabinet,..could be elm...with brass castors.circa,1920,s/30,s .value £50/£75.+..3rd..a hostess table,.....not sure of the wood, circa, 1930,s value,..£40/£50.....4..dressing table ..in dark oak....circa 1920,s/30,s.....value,....£40/£60...5....lowboy....circa 1930,s/40,s ..value...£30+.....the Tatung TV....£10......

Yeah mate, up in Yorkshire. Thanks for your reply, amusing as well as informative :)

All that would definitely add up, so im going to have a go at selling them. Would you recommend listing on auction websites or are fares more suitable?

I've just noticed the chairs in the first photo, would those be of the same time period 1920/30's.

Thanks again.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:45:24 am »
You could stick everything on Gumtree....or ebay,on free listing days,...its a bit brass monkeys for doing fairs...unless yer wrapped up like a Christmas parcel, wi yer bum...sitting on a hot watter bottle....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:53:30 am »
Second piece is Deco style, correct time period !!  Might help to mention that in your ad !!  Last one appears to be a Queen Anne style wash stand since it has a back splash and doors at the bottom !!

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:57:45 am »

Yeah mate, up in Yorkshire. Thanks for your reply, amusing as well as informative :)

All that would definitely add up, so im going to have a go at selling them. Would you recommend listing on auction websites or are fares more suitable?

I've just noticed the chairs in the first photo, would those be of the same time period 1920/30's.

Thanks again.

For furniture like this i would choose a decent local auction house with a good commission rate and have them deal with the whole lot. Best piece there in my opinion are 2 and 3, the little cabinet and the little etagere / hostess trolley. Chairs look nice but can only see half of one.

Nearest city in Yorkshire ?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:14:21 am »
If you opt for a local Auction house,expect to pay between 15%/ 20%...minimum...sellers fees....and if you can,t deliver them in person, then you,ll have to pay for collection....then wait around 3 weeks to get your money....

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:31 am »
Many places have free collection. And these aren't big items.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:34:13 am »
Can you let the leaf down on #1 and take a pic please ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
inside will be 1/2 little drawers....some pigeon holes, it may have a leather inset to the table,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 11:55:00 am »
5 pieces of furniture,= a van, or a big estate car...2 or more journeys,with a car, and unless they live close to an auction house, it might mean a long journey,there and back again....as Bilbo said!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »
That TV is the hardest antique to get rid of! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:52 am »
Handsome pieces. Agree with Ipcress on the two nicest.

Don't expect alot of money for them. Now's the time to claim one for your own and keep it in the famiy!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:12:29 am »
Handsome pieces. Agree with Ipcress on the two nicest.

Ha,  ;D ;D I'm partial to #1, that drop-front secretary desk.

It looks to me to be solid wood construction, a 1-piece burl walnut "front" ... and thus a quite old piece. (but really need to see detailed pictures of it construction)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile