Author Topic: Steamer trunk? Traveling trunk? Elephant trunk?  (Read 3517 times)

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
Steamer trunk? Traveling trunk? Elephant trunk?
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
I really appreciate all the help I have received from the members of this forum with the history of my family's heirlooms.

Here is my next item that I'm hoping you can identify for me.

This trunk has been referred to as both a steamer trunk and a traveling trunk by members of my wife's family. I honestly know so little about these types of old trunks that it may as well be an elephants trunk to me. We don't know much about this trunk except, like most everything else, it has been in the family for several generations. Many family members (including my wife's grandmother) claim that this trunk came from Norway and was used by my wife's great-great-grandparents when they immigrated across the Atlantic.

Here are a couple pictures. If you need more detailed pictures I can empty the trunk and take some more (I actually use it to store my genealogy paperwork - an appropriate use for a family heirloom, don't you think?).

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Steamer trunk? Traveling trunk? Elephant trunk?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:58 am »
It may be called a trunk on your side of the pond...but, over here its a Pine Kist....pine being the wood its made of...its also known as a blanket box....what it is,nt..is a steamer trunk....or a travelling trunk, or an elephant trunk....value up here on the east coast of Scotland...anything between £40/£100
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:58:53 am »
Doesn`t make any difference what you call it,,either would be correct !! Steamer trunk is the more commonly used name. Likely the family history is correct !! Many immigrant families used these when heading to America !!  Condition on yours looks pretty good !! Most areas value would be $75. to $100. here in the U.S. !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:08:14 am »
It makes all the difference over here,....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:36:36 am »
But the trunk is here !! Not there !!  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:55 am »
Ah...But......like most things over there, it came from over this side....and as it was,nt a trunk when it was made....it still is,nt a trunk now.... ;D

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »
Who knew there would be so many names for a chest (or should I say a pine kist). I appreciate the information, however, I am not at all interested in its value (as a family treasure it is already priceless).

Does anyone have any idea on the age and origin of this trunk?

Also, I have attached pictures of a second smaller trunk that also came from my wife's ancestors. This trunk has been referred to as a half-trunk by her family members (it is the same length and width as most steamer trunks, but half the height), but there is debate among the family as to whose trunk it was. Some family members claim this second trunk (like the first) belonged to her great-great-grandparents while others say it is not that old.

Any thoughts on the age and place of origin for both of these trunks would be greatly appreciated. And again, I am not interested in any monetary value.

Thanks.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:58 am »
The 1st one is a typical household trunk for storage of blankets, dresses, goodies, whatever. Very few houses in earlier days had closets, thus trunks were used for storage.

The 2nd one is the typical “steamer” or traveling trunk as denoted by the “metal” re-enforced corners and the “metal” bumps, for lack of the correct word …. on the top surface and probably on the bottom. The metal would protect the trunk during shipment because they would be stacked on top of one another and/or anything else that was loaded onto the wagon, rail baggage car or hold of a ship. 

dondon1903

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:22:57 am »
It may be called a trunk on your side of the pond...but, over here its a Pine Kist....pine being the wood its made of...its also known as a blanket box....what it is,nt..is a steamer trunk....or a travelling trunk, or an elephant trunk....value up here on the east coast of Scotland...anything between £40/£100

It's a 'Kista' in Sweden.. (Meaning 'chest' I think and another word that traveled across the North Sea ... ). They are a very normal part of the furniture in the older houses here and even for a big painted solid one from the 1800s you might only pay £20-30. We've got about 5... ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 06:55:30 am »
It's a 'Kista' in Sweden.. (Meaning 'chest' I think and another word that traveled across the North Sea ... ). They are a very normal part of the furniture in the older houses here and even for a big painted solid one from the 1800s you might only pay £20-30. We've got about 5... ;)

£20/£30 you say for a big painted one from the 1800,s...well fill a container with them and send them to the US...cos they pay silly money for them...and by silly money..i mean...hundreds.... if not more....as fo Kista...it came from Scandinavia in the 14th century...originall y latin..cista..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 06:56:20 am »
Top one looks like many others made here !!  Bottom one could be either !! Could date anywhere from 1850 to 1930 !! No correct way to tell !!

dondon1903

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:01:42 am »

£20/£30 you say for a big painted one from the 1800,s...well fill a container with them and send them to the US...cos they pay silly money for them...and by silly money..i mean...hundreds.... if not more....as fo Kista...it came from Scandinavia in the 14th century...originall y latin..cista..

Aha!

Now there's an idea..... It's an expensive business shipping a container to the US though.

Some of them way a ton * empty... It's hard to imagine what they'd be like if they actually had anything in them. Blankets would be about it, and I dont mean tightly packed blankets!

* not a real ton..

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:11:00 am »
Up in the Highlands of Scotland...many were used as a childs first bed....i.e. cot /storage,...latterly toy box...or someplace to sit your laptop just as i,m doing right now....