Author Topic: Any input regarding this way cool vanity/dressing table?  (Read 4204 times)

mike

• View Profile
Any input regarding this way cool vanity/dressing table?
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »
Just recently acquired this fantastic dressing table/vanity. We were told it is turn-of-the-century...which to my ignorant eye certainly seems to be the case. In fact, the glass of the mirror is obviously hand-cut. Any ideas/input regarding it's origin, manufacturer, style, etc would be much appreciated! It actually looks better than the way the camera flash accentuates every little "defect". We love it! Where my wife and I differ is in whether or not to paint it. I say "no", I would rather try to bring out the original wood finish...a lot of work, but... She wants to sand and paint it with possibly crystal knobs. I personally think it would kinda "devalue" it by doing so. My thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:19:29 pm by mike »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Any input regarding this way cool vanity/dressing table?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »
Old English "Dark" Furniture Polish ....... would do wonders for it.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:49:27 pm »
Please do not paint it.  That is a beautiful very early 1900's Victorian(I believe) or art deco piece.  Mart will be able to tell you when she gets on. I had one similar to it. Use the Old English as told it would be beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:52:10 pm by icedgold10 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »
From looking at the enlargement,,not sure Old English is going to help but I would try that first !! It would date around 1900 !! Late Victorian Revival !! I think it has had the hardware replaced probably in the 30`s !! The pulls are later than the dresser !! It would likely have had a drop pulls on the drawers!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:55:14 pm »
Very late 1800's to early 1900's (prior to 1920's) vanity.  Agree with Mart that it most likely had drop pulls on it originally.  (Love that clanking sound they make.)  Has Victorian influence.....but not all the fu-fu like most victorian furniture has.  A transition piece.

I has seen lots of life...however, I agree, do not paint it!  After enlarging it Mart, I don't think Old English will do the trick...but worth a try.  If it doesn't then a good sanding will be the next route.

How is the silvering on the mirror?  All there?  I love those 3 part mirrors.  Beveled edges.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:00:46 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:59 am »
I think the piece is later than has been generally indicated.

The pulls, though awkward and more craftsman than deco, are not necessarily out of the time period, which I'd say is 1920s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:44:06 am »
Old English will "mask" most everything except the "chipped" veneer.

But don't sand it. That would take 3 months to do ..... and it still wouldn't be a good job.

Take the mirrors out of their frames ..... and purchase a liquid (non-paste) varnish/paint remover (I liked the Keen Kutter brand).

Use a paint brush to apply liberal amounts of the remover to different pieces/sections of the wood surface, ..... wait like 3 to 5 minutes, ...... then vigorously rub it off ... while the surface is still wet, .... with a soft cotton cloth (old T-shirt). Repeat if necessary.

Then give it a lite "sanding" with "00" steelwool,, ..... then apply a finish such as Min Wax's Polycrylic. It is easy to apply and dries in  less than 15 minutes. 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:47:38 am »
I am on board with Ghopper on this. To me it screams depression era. Try Formsby Re-finisher on it. It is expensive but it works well by dissolving and redistributing the existing finish.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:02 am »
When I enlarged the dresser you could see the circular imprint, though very faint, of the original pulls !! Look top left drawer !!
Formby`s kit is almost the same stuff as denatured alcohol !! The alcohol is much cheaper and is used the same way !! It will not remove the patina but will just melt the varnish !! Once that is gone, touch up the stain if needed and a coat of poly or clear laquer !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:49:32 am »
Yes Mart Alcohol would do it for a lot less. Here is a similar piece

http://www.hardwareofthepast.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=fhdDepEra

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 12:06:18 pm »
Formby`s kit is almost the same stuff as denatured alcohol !!

Light "rubbing" with lacquer thinner on a soft cloth is quick at dissolving and redistributing the existing finish.

Too much thinner on the cloth ..... and the finish will disappear.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 12:57:33 pm »
Oops...I meant to put (prior to 1930's) not 1920's!  It is definitely inline with depressions era...but they started making this style very late 1890's and early 1900's for those that couldn't afford the finer pieces.  The back of the piece (now that I can pull it up - the joys of ice storms in TX and affecting our connections) it screams depression era.

Still think it had different pulls as well...I saw that as well Mart that the knobs don't suit this piece. Even tho those type knobs were used during that time.  I have seen pieces like this replaced with larger knobs/pulls over the years due to the ability of the owner to use the pulls/grips.  Was figuring that is what happened here.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »
Neat site Frogpatch !! Still think this is a bit earlier,, not that it makes a lot of difference !! The William and Mary style drop pulls is what I think went with this one !!
Could well have happened KC !! The drop pulls are harder to grab !!

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 01:00:30 pm »
Y'all are great...what a wonderful forum this is...my sincere appreciation for all of the superb constructive information/ideas! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »
Vinegar will remove stains, cup rings etc from furniture without cutting through the laquer or varnish....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,