Author Topic: Small Silver Pieces - I have no idea what they are!  (Read 2901 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Small Silver Pieces - I have no idea what they are!
« on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »
Hi Everyone! I have missed being on here.  It's been an battle with my health issues with many doctors appointments.

I have these 2 pieces of silver that I cannot identify what they are!  They came from an estate auction, so I assume they are antique or vintage - most of the stuff I got was antique/vintage.  I could be very wrong though.  Anyway, I wondered if anyone has an idea what they could be.  The one piece says Made in China No. 23 Silver. The other piece is unmarked. I have some other things I got that are unmarked as well, but I am having them checked to see if they are silver this week at the jewelry store, because from what I read on these particular items, the Sterling Mark was not on pieces until after 1930 (they are Indian pieces) - I looked by the markings on them.

Anyway here are the photos of the 2 pieces in question. The round piece measures approx 5/16" x 3/4" wide.  The square one is 1 1/16" tall x 1" wide.  Both open up and are empty.

Thanks ahead of time!

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Small Silver Pieces - I have no idea what they are!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »
I'll take the easy one first. I'm sure the little square Sterling marked case would be a "Postage Stamp Holder".

Take care, and I hope you get to feeling better. :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:41:52 pm »
Ding Ding...Rauville got that right....it is a "antique silver postage stamp holder".  Just search that and you will see others.

The other looks like a pill holder to me.  But if it is really old, it could have held any type of medicinal or illegal substance being as that was common way back when!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:25:46 am »
Thank you both very much! I do appreciate your input on these!  My memory and concentration are not what they used to be. That is very helpful.
:)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:04 am »
Ding Ding...Rauville got that right....it is a "antique silver postage stamp holder".  Just search that and you will see others.

The other looks like a pill holder to me.  But if it is really old, it could have held any type of medicinal or illegal substance being as that was common way back when!
and what would you know about illegal substances..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:42 pm »
Wullie, having researched antiques for years...quite a bit from that.  Having worked in law enforcement for years in my younger years...more than I ever cared to learn!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »
Wullie, having researched antiques for years...quite a bit from that.  Having worked in law enforcement for years in my younger years...more than I ever cared to learn!  :)
so we,re not talking about the odd spliff or two behind the bike shed... ;D..btw,...what year did you go to London.....my brother is a DS in the Met....and has been for the past 15 years....he,s a bit of a plonker...no sense of humour...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »
1978!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:30:52 pm »
He was,nt even a twinkle in my dads eye then....Mmm   78.....that makes you...about....ages with...whatsisname. .... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:55:45 pm »
:P