Author Topic: snow!  (Read 33269 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: snow!
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2013, 04:10:39 pm »
Maybe over there every house that is built ….. is built with a fire-burning chimney.

Over here, most every house that has been built in the past 60+ years was not built with a fire-burning chimney unless the original construction included a fireplace. Unless total electric heating, they were constructed with small flue pipe chimneys to exhaust oil or NG fired heating units.

Thus, over here, to fit wood-burning stove/boiler or stove/forced-air-unit in house …… construction cost$ will be like 2+- times the cost$ of the stove/boiler.

..you,ve got it in one cogar,most houses here that have been built up to the early 1960,s ..all have fire burning chimneys as standard....but the newr ones don,t...but they can still have woodburners or multi-fuel stoves, that use a double skinned stainless flue,....with it going up through the roof..or out through the wall...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2013, 08:03:51 pm »
Click here: The People vs Winter - YouTube
A couple of friends sent me this. It's pretty good.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »
greenacres the link isn't showing up on your post.  It just says click here!  Clicking doesn't work that way!  (snicker snicker)  :)

I'm in Florida and it's 83ºF and wearing shorts - but heading back to freezing cold Texas in a few days! Brrrr.  (Uncle passed away and came to funeral for paying respects, family time and "warmth"!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 08:00:50 am »
Thanks KC. Don't know why. I'll have to check.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 08:04:39 am »
KC,

My condolences to your family on your loss.

Florida has been spared the bitterly cold weather, thank goodness. Today we're having rain and depressing heavy overcast skies.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:33 am »
Yep...the rain is here!  But it is still beautiful!  Grew up here and just love coming "home"!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04:53 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKy2lLNQYrI
Maybe this is better. I would rather have snow than than rain. Rain can be so dreary. KC sorry to hear of your loss.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2013, 11:06:30 am »
Sorry for your loss KC !!  Beautiful weather here !! 29 this morning but no wind,, now 43 and sunshine !! Gorgeous day !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2013, 06:03:01 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKy2lLNQYrI
Maybe this is better. I would rather have snow than than rain. Rain can be so dreary. KC sorry to hear of your loss.

Hahaha   ;D ;D That is so my life that video.  Spent 5 hours shoveling today.  We had a big one. Have to say the livestock part is the best! ;D ;D

Sorry for your loss KC.  May the angels fly him home.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2013, 09:12:52 pm »
Thanks all!  He lived a long wonderful life - passed at 90 years of age!!! 

Here I am in warm FL and my better half (who is in Hawaii once a week) is complaining it wasn't fair because he was "freezing" in Texas!  LOLOL

On the way to the funeral...hard not to stop when I saw 3 estate sale signs.....  :)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2013, 09:52:17 pm »
 ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2013, 07:17:41 am »
Ok all,  so far this is the response I have received from my dealer here in Massachusetts Crystal rock farms Oakham, MA.  and I have not gotten a response from Central Boiler as to why I am receiving very different treatment from the gentleman here in my area who purchased the same boiler from the same dealer, from Central Boiler company of Greenbush, MN with the same warranty and  his boiler Failed the same way mine did rotting out in the fire box and water streaming in enough to keep the fire out!! He received a new boiler at no charge only shipping fees. This was my response.

I would like to share my experience with this situation in the hopes it will help clarify the events.
Around 8:30am 12/7 Saturday I answered a phone call from your husband Don. He stated that his furnace was leaking in the firebox bad enough to put the fire out. I walked him through handling this situation in the customary way I always do:

I asked detailed questions about the leak location and determined it was in the indent where the red bricks originally were on the firebox side wall.
    I informed Don that this leak was from rust as there are no welds at this location and that rust repairs are usually not warranteed unless they are done at Central Boiler in Minnesota and even then were generally pro-rated.
    I instructed Don to climb in the furnace with a spotlight and respirator and scrape all the crusty creosote, corners etc and have a good inspection of the complete firebox to determine the amount of any further rust.
    I explained that if the rust was extensive enough that it would not be practical to fix the furnace on site that it could go back to Central Boiler in Minnesota for likely a new firebox but this usually costs $3-4000 my cost and he would be without his furnace for a minimum of 2 months. The obvious solution would be to fix it on site if at all possible, and to let me know the outcome.

This is the exact procedure that I take any time a furnace leakage issue arises. I felt Don understood the information well, much better than most. I called him upon my return home that day around 4pm and to my surprise he was just finishing up the weld/repair with the report that it went well. He asked me to leave him a door seal, rust inhibitor and red bricks for the burn chamber out for him to pick up on Sunday since he couldn’t pick them up Saturday and I would be gone Sunday delivery furnaces. I came home Sunday afternoon to his check for the above parts and assumed all was well.
I understand how hearing this information was not what Don or you had hoped and that it could make you feel ‘out of luck’. And I certainly understand the concern of being without heat this time of year especially with small children at home. However, I handled this according to Central Boiler’s procedures in the same way I have handled it for others. The customer’s reaction is often the same – they are hoping to hear that the furnace will be fixed immediately under warranty for free. When they hear instead what I outlined above, they often draw the same conclusion that they are out of luck. I felt this leak situation went better than normal and was surprised to read the email you sent to Central Boiler. I will continue to keep Central Boiler informed of your concerns. I’m not sure who your contact there is though it does appear that Wayne Mooney was the one to respond initially.
Eliot Starbard
Crystal Rock Farm, Inc

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2013, 08:35:55 am »
Wendy,

Does the warranty mention failure of parts? Or only craftsmanship/workmanship? If the leak formed in a non-welded spot (as stated above), that meant they were using inferior steel, which already had rust particles in it. You might have to ask for the name of the company that supplied the steel plate and work on them to get the repair paid for.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2013, 09:26:57 am »
Wendy,s argument is not with the supplier of the steel,she cannot go to them and ask for them to pay...her argument is with the suppliers of the boiler,....Avril and I had a similar situation a few years ago, we bought a new Zanussi washing machine,...it failed after 4 months, we went back to the shop from whom we bought it, and they said,"Nothing to do with us"...here,s Zanussi,s number,..I said we bought it from you,Not Zanussi...therefore our contract is with you,....they said..we don,t have a repair shop...i said..i don,t expect it to be repaired we want a new one.they said no,....3 months later we got our new machine and out of pocket expenses...i.e..wee kly laundromat + our court expenses paid....all paid for by the shop...not Zanussi,....the same applies here,Wendy had a contract with the supplier..not the Steel maker...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »
Thank you Dogaman  My next email I will be asking for the  Mill Test reports, I'm sure I will not get them!! I am not asking for anyone to pay for repairs, I want a new stove at shipping cost only as the gentleman in my area received when his boiler failed the same way mine did. We both purchased the same model boiler from the same dealer and had the same warranty. His stove failed just like mine rotted steel and water pouring into the main firebox. So I want the same treatment why should any warranty  whatever  it says apply to me and not him??  bigwull the more I do research on the E-Classic 2300 model boilers the more I am finding they are failing like mine. I may need to look into a class action.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:54:32 pm by wendy177 »