Author Topic: Request for an ID On Framed Faux Scrimshaw  (Read 5530 times)

MarySmith

• View Profile
Request for an ID On Framed Faux Scrimshaw
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:53 am »
 I was hoping someone might remember when these faux scrimshaw framed pictures like this were made. 1970s?
Its measures 14.5" x 11.5" and the tile itself is 9"x 7" , signed  with an A over D
It is a really a beautifully detailed piece a really wonderful picture  but the pictures don't really capture how nice it really is
Do these old pieces have any value at all or is it off to the donation bin at a charity?
Thank you

Ipcress

Re: Request for an ID On Framed Faux Scrimshaw
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:51 pm »
My background in antique books and illustrators helps me here

Albrecht Dürer is the artist this is based on. Should be quite easy to find the original online.

There are masses of this type of plaque in the UK and the vast majority are worth only a few pounds, although there is one related to Nelson which is worth low four figures.

I'd say this was better than donation bin ( unless you're feeling charitable )

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »

‘Knight on Horseback with the Lansquenet’ (c1496)

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »
My background in antique books and illustrators helps me here

Albrecht Dürer is the artist this is based on. Should be quite easy to find the original online.

There are masses of this type of plaque in the UK and the vast majority are worth only a few pounds, although there is one related to Nelson which is worth low four figures.

I'd say this was better than donation bin ( unless you're feeling charitable )

Thank you...that's a big bah humbug  ;D

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:41:15 pm »
Are you sure it's " ivorine " ?

The detail is excellent. identical to the prints / engravings of this.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »
Mary,

I have something similar, but haven't documented value. Picture of what's on back might help you.

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:48 pm »
Mary,

I have something similar, but haven't documented value. Picture of what's on back might help you.
Thank you DM,  Mine has nothing on the back. It has a wood frame and there is burlap like material around the frame. The tile sits on gold colored velvet. Its seems very 70s

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:11 pm »
Yes, Dogaman is on the right path. There are Artini versions of Durer's work.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
Have you checked it to see if its possibly a resin piece ??

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »
Have you checked it to see if its possibly a resin piece ??
Mart, I think it could be  resin of some kind or a mix of things to give it the look and texture of old bones.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »
Some of the resin types are mixed with ground bone !! Usually those are from Japan, China ect !!  Is it removable from the frame to see if anything is on the back of the tile ??  It appears to be very well done !!

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:02 pm »
Are you sure it's " ivorine " ?

The detail is excellent. identical to the prints / engravings of this.
I wouldn't know what its made from  :-( But just from looking at the way it is made would have to think this was done way before the days of lasers and wondering if computers did this kind of thing back then. Someone had to transfer the picture on to the medium and then hand (?) etch all the details in. Nothing is painted on. Every bit of the detail is etched into the tile ,whatever the 1/4" thick tile is made from.

Here is some of the detail work the second of the horses leg and hoof. It almost looks like the picture was burned and melted into it
Here is the back. There was cardboard covering it that was ripped so I removed it. I marked where the tile was nailed into the frame.  The back stuff is the old tape that was holding the cardboard on
It really is a nice vintage piece. I like it. You cant get this kind of things at a Michaels, a Hobby Lobby or even a Walmart. its from a time long gone

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »
Mary,

I just googled "artini" and from what I can see, I'm 100% sure that's what it is. Someone had a different Durer up on ebay.
 This was definitely an  interesting discussion and I hope to learn more about the company that put out so much reproduced art in etchings
Thank you all.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 03:43:22 pm »
Mary,

Try this link http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5798m-artini-engraving-it-s-original-frame-don-quixote.html
The answer is from 2010, but may lead to others.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »
Trade mark info: http://www.trademarkia.com/artini-72277974.html
Company info: http://www.nycompaniesindex.com/artini-arts-inc-2y5k/

I've seen the following on several bidding sites. Not sure how accurate the info is, nor who it came from. I would take it with a grain of salt.

"Artini Arts Incorporated was an art company that manufactured pieces of art. The company was created on August 10, 1967 in Bronx, New York. They have a few pieces of engraving art that were produced from the 1950s to 1970s. Nowadays, these pieces can sell for around $500 each. In the art market, these pieces are steadily rising in price. The material is compared to carrera marble and ivory and was invented through scientific and artistic research by Artini Arts, based in Bronx NY. The Artini factory was in business in the 1960's, 1970's and was an obscure art form even then. They ceased to be in business as of Feb. 2013 and will become harder to find."