Author Topic: John Gould Litho part2  (Read 2162 times)

MarySmith

• View Profile
John Gould Litho part2
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »
I took the back off and this is the reveal...This is unframed/ unglassed/unmatted
It looks like the picture was mounted on paper then the mat was attached. The glue was so old the picture came right off from the mat

Again, from what I see, these lithos are so undervalued that if it's worth just  a few hundred, I would probably donate it to a local museum rather than give it away.
Thank you 

Ipcress

Re: John Gould Litho part2
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:29 pm »
Pity it's been laid down. No doubt to me though that it's 19th century.

Donating it to a museum would be a lovely gesture

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:32:06 pm »
Mary,

I agree; donate. However, you might want to ask for a receipt so you can use on your taxes.

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:04:11 pm »
Thank you Ipcress, Dogman.
 I'm not sure what you mean by "laid down". I did a search and checked out sites like this one http://www.oldprintshop.com/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?action=browse&creator_id=183. I doubt very much someone is going to give me top dollar fpr this. More than likely it would be a reseller that would be able to get double. That said, I just mentioned donating it to the hubby. He knows I'm a handbags freak and turned some 1980s gold jewelry I was left into some old LV :-). This deserves a bit more respect than to be turned into a ladies purse, I think.
Anyway, what better way to live on than leaving something lovely in ones name. Its a gesture that lasts forever.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:45:19 pm »
Re-mat,,re-frame and hang !!  These have always been popular and remain so today !! Even if not valuable !!

MarySmith

• View Profile
Re: John Gould Litho part 2
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:21 am »
Its at the framers as we speak. He had a gorgeous frame on clearance. Doing the complete job for $100
I will post some new pictures when I get it back home

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it !!  Gotta` tell you !! When I saw your name on the site I thought it was one of my friends here !! Her name is also Mary Smith !! She and her late husband were also big collectors !!  Mainly Hawkes cut glass among others !! He had luck finding some unusual stuff !!

MarySmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:36 pm »
Hello Mart. Mary Smith is a very common name! I wanted to tell you I had the Gould reframed and according to the framer it was an original litho. It turned out lovely. I will take some photos of the litho in its new frame tomorrow. Tell me if I picked well!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:46 pm »
Thought it was original.

Glad this ended well !