Author Topic: Villeroy & Boch Trivet? Board? Any idea of age or item?  (Read 6417 times)

Ipcress

Re: Villeroy & Boch Trivet? Board? Any idea of age or item?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:25:50 am »
Nope, Deco is geometric patterns that are symmetrical and Art Nouveau is more nature inspired and asymmetrical!!!  :)

We may be from Texas...but don't let that southern drawl be mistaken for ignorance!  Right Mart!!  :)

Really ?!

This is from the late Art Nouveau design book

http://www.craftingspot.com/images/pagesofdesign.jpg

This is from around 1905

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8169678454_e63460eae0.jpg

You also see that type of design on many Edwardian postcard albums, book covers etc. There's an Art Nouveau design reference book which sells for a few hundred pounds in good condition and it features an almost identical design. Also, that Villeroy & Boch mark was used up until 1909.

A Loetz vase from c1900

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6785820

Another vase, c1900. Straight lines, droplets.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/469990

This V&B vase is from 1900

http://p2.la-img.com/171/17924/6091260_3_l.jpg

Edwardian glass panel - straight lines, droplets.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:49 am »
Come on Ipcress !!  You know all these periods meld and blend together !! Yes, you can find elements of each from 1890 to about 1940 in any one you look at !!  The Edwardian stained glass panel you posted also has the flowing floral element of the Nouveau period with the other design elements !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:45 am »
Okay Ipcress (LOL) here we go.....

When googling "what is the difference between Art Nouveau and Art Deco" here is what I am coming up with...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/19891/art-deco-vs-art-nouveau-whats-difference

and

http://www.fauxology.com/2012/01/art-deco-or-art-nouveau/

and

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-difference-between-art-nouveau-and-art-deco

and

http://altnonfic.com/art-nouveau-art-deco/

Do I need to put more Ipcress?  :)

(This is fun!)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:52:52 am »
Should we just get a hammer and beat it in KC !!  ;D

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 12:06:16 pm »
Listen, any Tom Dick or Harry knows about Art Nouveau and the floral, naturalistic influence - vines, curves etc and Art Deco - straight lines. geometric shapes . It wasn't me who made a blanket statement about straight lines being Deco, curves being Art Nouveau. I know there are overlaps - it's why i asked. It was a loaded question.

That plaque above is from a couple of decades before the Deco period. Period.  ;)

Another smite. This place is great.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:07:58 pm by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »
We were ribbing you !!  Wasn`t us !!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
whoever is doing the smiting--let me say this to them, if you don't have some people more knowledgeable in the forum it gets pretty stagnate.

If you feel you know more...show yourself and compare notes -- my guess is Ipcress intimates you.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
Ipcress knows this stuff as well as anyone !! Sometimes we Texans just have to get a lick in and kid a bit !! Have no idea why anyone would feel the need to smite someone over that !! Just friendly discussion !! Point vs point !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »
Wasn't me to smite.  I just keep loading up with references/web sites!  :)  Keeps the blood flowing and brain cells moving on both sides of the pond! That is what I love about this site!   LOL

I never said, and I copied/quoted you "a blanket statement about straight lines being Deco, curves being Art Nouveau".  I wrote:  "Deco is geometric patterns that are symmetrical and Art Nouveau is more nature inspired and asymmetrical!!!"  Nothing about straight lines or curves!  If that is your interpretation...th en we are at an impasse...and I will agree to partially disagree!  All is well!

Yep Mart, we UNDERSTAND!  :)  :)  ;)

Ipcress where did you find that pic of the stained glass? 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 05:07:13 am »
Wasn't me to smite.  I just keep loading up with references/web sites!  :)  Keeps the blood flowing and brain cells moving on both sides of the pond! That is what I love about this site!   LOL

I never said, and I copied/quoted you "a blanket statement about straight lines being Deco, curves being Art Nouveau".  I wrote:  "Deco is geometric patterns that are symmetrical and Art Nouveau is more nature inspired and asymmetrical!!!"  Nothing about straight lines or curves!  If that is your interpretation...th en we are at an impasse...and I will agree to partially disagree!  All is well!

Yep Mart, we UNDERSTAND!  :)  :)  ;)

Ipcress where did you find that pic of the stained glass? 

Probably in the front door of his or someone else house,...they are common over here,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:35 am »
Out of all the references on the internet that are easily accessed by anyone here....this helps to distinguish the periods pretty well.  Although NOT ALL totally comply (after all we are talking about artists)...this does a great explanation!

http://www.ehow.com/info_7963187_differences-art-nouveau-edwardian-victorian.html

"Comparisons  -  While Art Deco and Art Nouveau may both borrow elements from nature, such as flowers and insects, the types of flowers and insects chosen is what differentiates Art Deco from Art Nouveau. For instance, Art Nouveau would use orchids, irises, dragonflies and spiders, while Art Deco would use camellias, roses and speedy animals such as leaping gazelles. Art Deco incorporates modern lines while Art Nouveau remains romantic and whimsical. Art work produced during the Edwardian and Victorian periods make use of bright and bold colors while the architecture embodies the Gothic revival."

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
Putting descriptions aside...I'm curious as to what you think about the trivet shown with the "Checkerboard" design.
When I first saw it, my thought was the Vienna Secession movement from 1905 or so. Architect Josef Hoffmann was gaining fame with his checked blue/white interiors around that time.

Ipcress

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
Putting descriptions aside...I'm curious as to what you think about the trivet shown with the "Checkerboard" design.
When I first saw it, my thought was the Vienna Secession movement from 1905 or so. Architect Josef Hoffmann was gaining fame with his checked blue/white interiors around that time.

Yes, i agree.

All the trivets are from the same period, despite what the ladies have been saying about Art Deco.

I've sold ( should i say helped sell to be precise ) a Hoffmann silver cigar box before. I was interested in him and the whole Wiener Werkstätte thing. Their designs influenced British designers when thing began to change during the Edwardian period.
Queen Victoria mourned the loss of Prince Albert for a long time and this is reflected in late Victorian furniture and antiques. I think the Edwardian period, though short, was a great time for design and innovation. A new monarch, a new century....then war came.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 10:48:39 am »
 Ipcress,, I said the checks were mid century !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 11:32:04 am »
i think maybe you,ve lost one of yer skeleton keys......or is it sticking out yer back.....btw ...I see the English got humped...again....i think they need a wider bat..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,