Author Topic: Value for Vaseline Glass light fixture  (Read 6111 times)

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Value for Vaseline Glass light fixture
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
If it were me,, I would check it myself !! If you sell it without that,, you are taking someone else`s word for it !! You personally can`t say that it is Vaseline glass,,just that you were told it was !!  But that's just me !!  I don`t do it because it comes back on me if there is a problem,, not the lighting company !!
At this point I won't be selling it, so won't matter.  But I will make sure before I sell it.  Thanks for the advice.  Cheers, GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 07:49:33 pm »
Get Wendy`s opinion on it as far as value !! She knows much more about Vaseline glass than I do !! Then decide which way to go with it !!

Ipcress

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 09:51:03 am »
That style of fitter is pretty typical for here, with the open top shades (I think they are 3 1/2" fitters) you couldn't have a bell fitter.  It was only rewired, not restored or polished.  As those shades sell for around $100 each on Ebay, I afraid that $250 just isn't worth selling it.  I will hang it in the office.  Thanks for the help.  Cheers! GG

Has a nice Benson look to it. I'd have no problems cataloguing it for auction at £200-300

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
I am in agreement with Ipcress on this one. In the New York area at a good auction house. I would expect to see around 500.00 if there is no signatures etched on the rims of those shades.I did not have time to read every  post but if you have not looked closely I would. They look like they may be important to me. The fitters and everything look perfect from here. I really like it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:44:34 pm by frogpatch »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:54 pm »
I would suggest perhaps Phoenix Glass Company as the maker of the shades. They were producing opalescent glass in different colors and designs in the early 1900's.

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/original-antique-american-victorian-white-stripe-opalescent-swirl-art-glass-ceiing-fixture-shade.html

Ipcress

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »
Yes. There's two markets for this - light fittings and glass. The latter looks good quality but also the design of the brass fittings. Be surprised if the light didn't have a mark somewhere.

It's a really nice example.

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »
Unfortunately there are no signatures on either the shades or the fixture, I have gone over it with a loupe.   The shades glow green under a black light, so they are as they were said to be.

Don't click on this link if you are faint of heart.  This shop is in Vancouver & as you can see quite a few of the fixtures have reproduction shades.  Perhaps we should start importing fixtures if the prices some are quoting are correct!  ;) ;) :) :)  GG
www.renewgallery.com/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 11:45:12 pm »
Love these swirl vaseline glass pieces!!!!  Gorgeous and getting harder/harder to come by!!!

Nice piece!

Would easily sell for over $500 in our area (if all is original and immaculate shape) and is truly vaseline glass bell globes!  I would hold off for a true evaluation as well!

Love how vaseline glass GLOWS!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 07:01:28 am »
The globes are where the money is because they will fit on a variety of different light fixtures. 

Like this one, to wit:

IMHO, your ceiling fixture would be hard to sell without those globes. And if it was sold “as is”, there is a good chance the buyer is only wanting the globes.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 09:45:11 am »
Believe that "most likely" they will be buying for the globes....but there are so many "blast to the past" people out there that are going for that look as well.  Especially in an area where they are re-lifing historical neighborhoods!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!