Author Topic: Value for Vaseline Glass light fixture  (Read 6112 times)

gg27

• View Profile
Value for Vaseline Glass light fixture
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:43:20 pm »
Hi All!!
My turn to ask for help.  I am having a hard time trying to put a selling price on this light fixture.  All the vaseline shades are in perfect condition, the light itself has all original parts, but it has been rewired to Canadian standards & has it's little certification tag. I am on the West Coast of Canada.   Thanks in advance for any help!!  Merry Christmas to all, Gabriola Girl aka GG27.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:51:13 pm by gg27 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Value for Vaseline Glass light fixture
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:42 pm »
How much of your corn has this light fitting eaten...that,s what it all boils down to...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »
How much of your corn has this light fitting eaten...that,s what it all boils down to...
The problem Wullie, is that we bought it about 20 years ago & we don't know what the market is like for these.  GG

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:00:41 pm »
Wel,let me just say....its not my cup of tea...but Avril loves it....I showed her the pic and then asked her opinion and after saying that she really liked it, i asked her, how much she,d pay for it if it was for sale, ...and she said she,d be prepared to pay up to £150....which is around $250...i nearly choked when she said that... ;D

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:39 pm »
Wel,let me just say....its not my cup of tea...but Avril loves it....I showed her the pic and then asked her opinion and after saying that she really liked it, i asked her, how much she,d pay for it if it was for sale, ...and she said she,d be prepared to pay up to £150....which is around $250...i nearly choked when she said that... ;D
Tell Avril, thank you.  But I know the shipping cost would kill you!!  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »
Tell me about it...i was quoted £50 ...or $80 for a small package weighing 2.5lbs....with a value of £20...going to America...over here things are arse to elbow...I recently sent a model boat,..crate size 5ft x 2ft x 2ft,weighing 50kg,....to America,..via FedEx ....which cost the buyer £125 or $200....yet our Post O,want $80 for a 2.5lb parcel.....FedEx can,t do it as it is a gun part,....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
Have you checked it with a black light ??  Wouldn`t think there would be much difference in the wiring but don`t know what their residential system is ??

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:42:26 pm »
I was at the post office today--in MN--some lady was mailing home made cookies to Hawaii---her cookies cost her 75.00 to ship.

I told her next year send them money--in a card.

Postage is crazy stupid expensive

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:54:01 pm »
Have you checked it with a black light ??  Wouldn`t think there would be much difference in the wiring but don`t know what their residential system is ??
I'm not sure what I'm checking with a black light?  The shades are original vaseline shades verified by Vintage Lighting & rewired by them.  I was pretty sure that Wullie was kidding about the offer.  I can get $250+ here without all the bother of packing it up.  I just wondered if anyone had any idea of value these days.  The only 2 I could find on the net, one was $2250 & sold & the other was $7950.  I was hoping to get something less than the first one, but I wanted some perspective as I haven't sold lighting for a number of years.  :)  GG

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
Did you purchase the fixture as shown, or did you have it restored and polished? The only reason I ask (and Frogpatch would know) are those "screw on UNO shade fitters". Most old fixtures that I've dealt with have the "bell fitters" that mount on top of and cover the socket, rather than screwed on the bottom.

That said, it's a nice looking piece...and I would think $250 would be a fair price.

(Sugarcube5419: We just received a card from my Aunt in your hometown. The way we handle our gifting is that she gives us Omaha Steaks...and we give her a Schwan's gift card. Problem solved on going to the PO! :D)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:23:48 pm »
Rauville--  I thought sure you were going to say she gives you a gift card for hormel spam@!

Say hello to the teacher.  Merry Christmas to you and yours...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:25:33 pm »
Vaseline glass will glow under black light !!  That would make a sizable difference in the price !! Wendy has a collection of Vaseline glass and she would be more likely to give an accurate value !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:44 pm »
That style of fitter is pretty typical for here, with the open top shades (I think they are 3 1/2" fitters) you couldn't have a bell fitter.  It was only rewired, not restored or polished.  As those shades sell for around $100 each on Ebay, I afraid that $250 just isn't worth selling it.  I will hang it in the office.  Thanks for the help.  Cheers! GG

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:30:18 pm »
Vaseline glass will glow under black light !!  That would make a sizable difference in the price !! Wendy has a collection of Vaseline glass and she would be more likely to give an accurate value !!
That's why I was confused, they are verified as Vaseline glass, Vintage lighting did that.  GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 07:39:30 pm »
If it were me,, I would check it myself !! If you sell it without that,, you are taking someone else`s word for it !! You personally can`t say that it is Vaseline glass,,just that you were told it was !!  But that's just me !!  I don`t do it because it comes back on me if there is a problem,, not the lighting company !!