Author Topic: GE Fan  (Read 5908 times)

Cardinal

• View Profile
GE Fan
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:54:40 am »
I recently acquired this at a white elephant gift exchange.  Not quite sure why they put it in...but regardless its pretty cool.  Said it sat in the attic of a grandparents barn for years.  They are good friends and actually seemed sad to see it go, so I'm going to do some research for them and gift it back.  

Did some browsing and it appears it is a vintage, pre-1950 GE pancake fan?  I could be off.  Seems old but several out there.  More beneficial for repurposing than restoration?  For sure not plugging it in with the cord in that condition so no idea if it works.  

Any fan experts out there?

Dogaman

• View Profile
Re: GE Fan
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »
Cardinal,

Found info at http://earlyfans.blogspot.com/

Some on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ge-brass-fan

Good luck!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:21:31 pm »
What is the date on the back plate ??

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:24:53 pm »
Mart,

I could figure out: patent August 13 1895 to June 25 1901.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »
I think I would send pics to the people at Dogaman`s link and see what the value is !! Some of these are pretty pricey !! Looks like this one has brass fan blades and that makes it more collectable and higher priced !!

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:45:34 pm »
looks to be 4 or 5 hundred even with replacement leads / plug

People paying over a grand for the slightly earlier one. WACKO !!!  :D

Cardinal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »
Crazy!  I'll do that and keep you all posted.  Anything from 1900 is cool regardless of how much its worth.

Thanks for all the info!

Steve Stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:12:45 am »
Hi Ryan,
You have a nice 1911-12 model GE "Big Motor Yoke" fan and it's definitely worth doing some work or cleaning to make it usable.  I hope you don't "repurpose" it but do use it for its intended purpose; cooling and making nice breezes.  These are well made, heavy duty fans that will far outlast you and the junk fans from China that you can buy today for a 20 dollar bill.  They are fully usable for extended use with no problems once you have good wiring on it.  The power cord should be very easy to change if needed; the head wire from base to motor will take some skill but it's not out of the realm of doing yourself.  

More information and tips on repair or restoration can be found on the Antique Fan Collectors site and forum at http://www.fancollectors.org
Many of the AFCA members run early fans 24/7 year around.  Properly lubricated (20 wt. non-detergent oil) they can last many generations with wiring that has been checked and found to be good.

GE's "pancake" fans are the ones that preceded the Big Motor Yoke (there was a Small Motor Yoke model that followed the BMY) and are characterized by having a large diameter but thin motor.  Pancakes from 1894 through 1907 are great fans and highly treasured.  The BMY was made from 1908-1912 (1913 for the 16" model).

Attached are two very early fans that I run now and then for fun and they run every bit as well as any fan ever made.  The are quiet and smooth and run very cool.  Due to their rarity I do not run all the time plus the lack of a guard makes them a bit of a hazard on my kitchen counter where I might come into contact with the blade.  The one with a light bulb (for resistance and speed control) is an 1890 C&C which was the world's first "mains" fan (for house current, 100 volts DC) and the other is an 1892 Crocker Wheeler.  There really is no reason these fans can't be used for daily runners if they were out of the way of one's body and pets.

Steve
www.earlyfans.com
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:35:12 am by Steve Stephens »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:12 am »
A bit of a Hazard....LOL....te ll me do you still have all your fingers.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:23:19 am »
Cardinal, spin the blades with your finger to see if they run smoothly and don’t slow up and stop real quick like …… cause if they do that is a sign that “varnish” has built up on one or both ends of the armature shaft where it rotates in the bearings.

Said “varnish” is just baked or dried-on oil residue, …. which by the way, is the reason that 90% of all fans quit working.

If so, the motor will likely run “hot” because of the drag and the problem will just get worse ….. thus it should be taken apart and the “varnish” cleaned off the shaft, ….. re-oiled and put back together ….. and its good-to-go for many more years.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:51:10 am »
Great advice cogar!!!!

Welcome to the forum Steve Stephens!  Love the fan with the light bulb combo!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 09:56:36 am »
Excellent advice Cogar !!

Thank you so much Steve Stephens for helping another new member !! Now we have an old fan expert here !! Glad you joined our little group !!

Steve Stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:43:45 pm »
If a fan runs better when held upside down there is probably some wear in the bearings. 

Thank you for your welcome here guys.  I don't know if I will stick around, already spend way too much time on forums and the computer, but you can always contact me through my blog www.earlyfans.com

I am also into early typewriters and cast iron cookware.  Cast iron, the world's most perfect material.

Steve

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:00:26 am »
Well,, even if you can`t be here regularly,,still nice to know we have a go-to site !!  A few days ago we had someone post an Olivetti Valentine typewriter !!  Crazy prices for those things !!  Well seasoned cast iron cookware is past down in families here in the south !! Its like gold !!  Ask any southern cook !!  :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
Cast iron makes for "good blood", ...... literally. ;D ;D