Author Topic: 2 Furniture Items - Need Info Plz  (Read 4458 times)

Wizzer

• View Profile
2 Furniture Items - Need Info Plz
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »
Hi,

New guy here.  I recently purchased a home.  It was an original owner home built in 1960.  When the owner's children sold the house (their mother in assisted living), they left a couple interesting things there.

One is what I've been told is a "kitchen buffet".  It's in really good shape and the owner's kids (now in their 60's) say they remember it from when they were little.  I've checked and can't find any tags / plates on the back or inside any of the drawers or doors.  I posted a pic of it on Facebook, and was told that it was quite a bit older than the 53 years that the owner had lived there.

The other is a Brunswick treadle sewing machine.  I can't find any information on this item either, only the maker's plate on the side.

Any help in rough estimates would be greatly appreciated... 

Thanks.

Wizzer

• View Profile
Re: 2 Furniture Items - Need Info Plz
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:05:53 pm »
Images wouldn't load..let's try again.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:14:13 pm »
a better pic of the items would help, ..found this Brunswick for sale on ebay,...yours looks better...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-Antique-Brunswick-TREADLE-Sewing-Machine-DETAILED-CARVED-WOOD-/141147676139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dd0e9deb
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Wizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
I know bigwull...the pics aren't the best.  We're in the middle of remodeling the kitchen so I haven't even moved in yet.  The light is scarce and it was my son's iPhone 4 taking the pictures...:)

I had also seen that one on eBay whilst trying to do some research.  It seems pretty much the same except for the carvings on the top middle drawer.  Mine might be in better shape, but the cabinet is not as fancy as the eBay one.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:30:25 pm »
Wizzer,

I searched for 1940's buffet veneer and came up with this one. It's close to yours.
http://www.icollector.com/1940s-Art-Deco-Waterfall-Buffet-or-Server-1350686_i6619448

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:33:04 pm by Dogaman »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »
Your buffet is from the 30`s !! Looks to be waterfall style but can`t tell for sure !! What is that on the top of it ??
You have the original pulls and that is good !! This furniture is not particularly valuable and is fairly common !! Your buffet would be valued at about $100. to $150. !! They attempted to replicate the book matching of higher end furniture on the doors !! Still,,most of this type furniture is fairly well made and many like it !!  Its one of my favorites !!  Think middle America`s Hollywood Regency !! Most all of it has a similar gold tone look !! You will not find this style in dark woods !!  Or at least I have never seen it !!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:56:21 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »
I know bigwull...the pics aren't the best.  We're in the middle of remodeling the kitchen so I haven't even moved in yet.  The light is scarce and it was my son's iPhone 4 taking the pictures...:)

I had also seen that one on eBay whilst trying to do some research.  It seems pretty much the same except for the carvings on the top middle drawer.  Mine might be in better shape, but the cabinet is not as fancy as the eBay one.

Just because yours does,nt have some fancy carving does,nt make it worth that much less,i,ve always found that you don,t look at the mantlepiece when you poke the fire....and the same applies here as it does to another thing that ...anyone with a sewer of a mind might comment on....Now you,re saying to yourself,"what is this guy talking about"....Its a Scottish thing.... ;D....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:03:58 pm »
Can you post a pic of the makers plate on the treadle machine !! Your cabinet looks the same as my grandmothers was !!  
The one on ebay will not likely get close to that BIN price !! It doesn`t have a belt either !! These are pretty easy to find and not expensive !! Every family had one so there are plenty on the market !! About $75. is an average price !!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:31:10 pm by mart »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
The "Brunswick" was sold by Montgomery Ward, and manufactured for them by the National Sewing Machine Company.
http://www.ismacs.net/national/from_eldredge_to_national_to_janome.html

There should be a serial number on the machine that you could research the year of production.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »
That's where my Grandmother bought hers,,Montgomery Wards !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
Over here in Scotland,and the UK as a whole..they don,t fetch much,..here,s one from UK ebay...albeit..its a Singer,but the condition is good, it will be lucky to sell for the start price...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-1903-Singer-Sewing-Machine-with-treadle-table-Model-15K-Spinx-pattern-/271353617977?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item3f2def9e39

Wizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for all the replies and useful information.

I'm going to take my good camera and take several pictures of each item tomorrow.  I'll try to find the serial # on the Brunswick also.  It still has the manual in the drawer as well as a wooden holder full of needles.

Gonna clean these things up. 

The stuff on top of the buffet are leafs for tables I believe.  They don't belong to the buffet.  I'll take those off and get a good look at the top of the unit.

I'll upload the pics to picasa and put a link here tomorrow if anyone is interested in looking at much better photographs. 

Once again, I'd like to thank you all for the information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 09:52:39 pm »
Better to just post the pics here !!

Wizzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 01:45:38 pm »
Ok, got some more pics of each item and found the serial # of the sewing machine.  Merry Christmas everybody! 

Looks like the buffet needs some repair to the top.  It also has some ink stains inside the bottom of the first drawer.  Also, it looks like the backing isn't original to the unit.  I don't know if there's supposed to be a back or someone may have tacked it on later for looks.

The serial number of the Brunswick sewing machine is: 330552

I'm still checking around on the Web to see if I can find info using the SN.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »
The buffet is worthless,...what with those wallboards on the back....and the other repairs it needs...makes it non viable...over here i,d be chopping it up for kindling...