Author Topic: Hanging glassware  (Read 3658 times)

Dogaman

• View Profile
Hanging glassware
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:33:15 am »
Greetings,

Someone on Facebook said they hang their Carnival Glass bowls and plates on the wall by using heavy gauge electrical wire tightly wrapped around the base (marie) with a loop formed at the top to slip over the picture hanger hook. When asked directly if this could cause wear to the glass, they replied no, as the wire is insulated with a layer of plastic.

I am still wary of this. Asking for opinions.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging glassware
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:43:58 am »
what are you wary of,...the only possible way for ware to happen would be if the glass was moving too and fro...against the cable,.causing friction....but even then it would have to be swinging at a mile a minute for that to happen but  its not,the glasses and plates will be static....therefore nothing untoward will happen....Trust me...I,m a wood butcher..... ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:47:18 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:05 am »
What exactly are you wanting to hang?  If it is stemware....I wouldn't recommend that because the stems are much to delicate to take the "pressure" of gravity and being knocked into by people passing by.

Can you be more specific?

Totally agree with Wullie.  Insulated wire won't scratch.  As long as it isn't constantly moving over years...it shouldn't have any wear on it.  BUT once again....please specify what pieces you want to hang please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:12 am »
KC,

Really looking at possibly hanging plates and/or shallow bowls; ones with a pretty hefty bottom foot (marie). I would never hang anything delicate, valuable, or even where heavy passerby traffic was a concern. Shelf space is at a premium, and wall space abounds.

Pic below is one of the items I thought about hanging. Unfortunately, the small bowls' bottoms are flush/flat. No way to hang them with a wire.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:16:24 am »
If you were going to hang them (just as you displayed in your pic) IN A CABINET (where the fall, if ever happened, wouldn't be much distance)  I have been known to put a few pieces together with Museum Putty.  I came across it years ago in California (Talesof I am sure you are familiar with this) due to all of the earthquakes.

They now make gels and wax.  But the only one I have used is Museum Putty.  I love having the tilted plates in the china cabinet but didn't like the instability...thus Museum Putty.  It does the job extremely well AND is temporary/easily removed.

Just to show the purpose...to hold in place even in earthquake rocking.

Maybe Talesofthesevenseas can lend a hand on some other names that have become popular over the years.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:30 am »
My suggestion would be to find some wall shelving that you can hang on the wall and sit the bowls on the shelves !! Then hang only the plates making a nice grouping of carnival glass !!  Just make sure that the plate hangers have the covered wires !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:23:21 am »
Best suggestion Mart!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:48:10 am »
Superglue and be done with it..... ;D ;D....just mind yer digits...and don,t pick yer beak....nor scratch yer arse...

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:10 am »
KC: that was a pic I had to show off the rim pattern. I really wasn't thinking of hanging them like that. I've heard of the Museum Putty before; good idea, but my cats leave the glass alone. (Lucky me!!)

Mart: Hubby talked about cutting a "plant shelf" into one of the walls in the living room. Problem with that is it'll be too high for me to clean!  Besides, it would be situated over the plasma tv...not a good thing to be climbing a ladder around! :D

I guess we'll just keep looking for plate easels and stands that don't have exposed metal.

Thanks to all for the input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »
Maybe consider a vacant corner for a shelving unit if you have one !!

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Mart,

Corner? Only one, 90 degree corner in my living room, which has the cat tree secured in it!  I have some shelves in our spare room, but they are getting a bit crowded.  I'll probably start storing the lesser liked pieces away for a while; maybe change things out come summer.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »
My mother in law has hanging dishes. She found the hooks that hold the plate. He looks like three long wires with hooks on the end. The plate sits in the center and the hooks grasp the plate lip. Then the hanging part is in the back.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »
Thanks for all the input. Will mull over my options. You never know when hubby will bring me home a nice curio cabinet, and then I can get rid of.....the TV?! Just kidding!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 04:45:58 pm »
I am sure that with a little constructive thinking you will come up with an idea !!  Post pics when you do !!