Author Topic: victorian broach......  (Read 5245 times)

leeham987

• View Profile
victorian broach......
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:38:59 am »
Hi.

Just wondering if anyone knows the type of cross on this broach and its significance.

Wondering if a mourning broach aswel.

thankyou in advance

mart

• View Profile
Re: victorian broach......
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:33:13 am »
Well, it isn`t a cross in the biblical sense !! Looks like just like a decorative shape to me rather than anything symbolic !!  Would more likely be black for mourning jewelry rather than blue !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »
Totally agree...not a cross but a decorative aspect...mimicking the popularity of the French style decorative flair.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »
Well, i,d beg to differ i,d say it resembles a Maltese cross....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

leeham987

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:44:20 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies :)

The cross on the brooch is actually black..l think the light makes it look more blue on the picture. We cant seem to find an example of the cross type decoration anywhere.

With the cross being black,  this gave us the idea of it bring a mourning brooch maybe? Could also just be a decorative piece?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 02:46:55 pm »
Black would mean mourning brooch. Black Jet Glass.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »
I actually left out words on my previous reply...my fingers went faster than my brain (I know Wullie!)! 

It isn't a Christian cross...but a decorative aspect, more like that of the Huguenot Cross, for representing the Protestant Faith.  The decorative flair of this piece has more of the French style to it.

Search Huguenot Cross Jewelry and you will see several images!

Here is an article that explains the Hugeunot Cross, the Cross of Malta (known today as the Maltese Cross), etc.
http://huguenotfellowship.org/history/cross/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »
I actually left out words on my previous reply...my fingers went faster than my brain (I know Wullie!)! 

It isn't a Christian cross...but a decorative aspect, more like that of the Huguenot Cross, for representing the Protestant Faith.  The decorative flair of this piece has more of the French style to it.

Search Huguenot Cross Jewelry and you will see several images!

Here is an article that explains the Hugeunot Cross, the Cross of Malta (known today as the Maltese Cross), etc.
http://huguenotfellowship.org/history/cross/
happens to me all the time...its called opening yer gob before dipping the clutch... ;D....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 07:26:08 pm »
Sorry,, would have helped to know from the start that it was black !!  Colors on the computer are sometimes different than the piece itself !!  That's why accurate descriptions are important !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 10:44:50 am »
Please Post A Picture Of The Back!  That helps determine the age as well.... From this picture it looks more like a button.

What are the dimensions?

leeham987

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
Hi,

Apologies for the lack of description, we are very new to sites like this, so didn't add as much detail as is needed. I'm going to measure the brooch etc. Tomorrow. Will also post a pic of the back pin as requested.

From the other Victorian mourning brooches I have seen, the back looks very similar, but as I said we are new to this! We are a couple, and this was a Christmas present from my fiancé.  I love the Victorian era, and love to collect various pieces from that time, it's always lovely to find out what it is that I now own.

Thank you for the replies, you've all been  helpful. I will get back to you tomorrow, thanks in advance for the help. There are no markings on the back, so we have hit a dead end as we are unsure what to look for. Again, apologies for the lack of description and knowledge on our part! :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »
No apologies necessary.  We won't hesitate to ask...that is how we all learn!

Glad you are here!!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:43:07 pm »
KC is right !! You need not apologize !!  But when we are looking at a flat image on the computer,,anything you can tell us helps as will pics of front and back !!  Many times the back helps to date a piece more so than the front !!  Glad you are interested in the older items !!  Searching for these things is a great hobby for couples !!

leeham987

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »
Hi,

we took some more pictures,  struggled to get ones of the side of the pin as it is an awkward angle! They are a little blurry, but have added them anyways :)

The brooches size is the size of a 50p piece and stands around 5 millemetres if it is on a flat surface, so fairly thick. We know it definitely isnt gold. The cross type decoration in the middle is black and shiny rather than being matt.

We struggled as the back is completely smooth and has no markings. Hope the side pics of the pin are okay, we tried for ages to get a good one! :)

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing from you  all!

Jade.

leeham987

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:29:02 pm »
Here are the pics...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:30:58 pm by leeham987 »