Author Topic: Table Lamp ID needed  (Read 4208 times)

Debbelle

• View Profile
Table Lamp ID needed
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »
This is a table lamp I've been trying to identify. There is a sticker on the globe that reads Steuben Glass. But, it's just a sticker and can't be sure it goes to the lamp. The base is some kind of metal and the lamp is old. There are these little button like metal things on the globe - pictured - with what looks like a royalty head. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Table Lamp ID needed
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »
You had better hope its Steuben !! Don`t touch that sticker !!
Look on the inside of the shade around the rim for a small (less than 1 in.) etched Steuben signature !!  All Steuben art glass was hand blown so there should be no seams in the shade !! Might see the polished pontil mark !!  Where was the metal object ?? At the top ?? How do they attach ??
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:03:04 pm by mart »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »
Where are you located? Is there anyone reputable near you to look at it?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:42:17 pm »
You had better hope its Steuben !! Don`t touch that sticker !!
Look on the inside of the shade around the rim for a small (less than 1 in.) etched Steuben signature !!  All Steuben art glass was hand blown so there should be no seams in the shade !! Might see the polished pontil mark !!  Where was the metal object ?? At the top ?? How do they attach ??

I don't see an etched Steuben signature. There are no seams in the shade. I'm not familiar with the polished pontil mark. ???  Their are 4 of those metal objects towards the bottom part of the shade. It appears to be only decorative with no utilitarian function. ??? 2 of them are missing. There are round holes in the glass where they were. I'm including a picture here of the inside of the globe where one of them is attached, so that you can see how it's held in place.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:58:51 pm »
Did you look inside, outside,, everywhere ?? It is small so may be hard to see !! Might be able to feel for it since its etched into the glass !!  Take a pic of the sticker please !! Also look at the bottom of the lamp to see if there is a name on it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:35:46 pm »
Look on this page to see what a Steuben or Aurene mark can look like.
http://www.glasscollector.net/Signature%20Pages/GlassSignaturesP2Z.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »
Did you look inside, outside,, everywhere ?? It is small so may be hard to see !! Might be able to feel for it since its etched into the glass !!  Take a pic of the sticker please !! Also look at the bottom of the lamp to see if there is a name on it !!

Here's a picture of the sticker - which is on the bottom of the lamp, not the globe.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:03:54 am »
Is that a paper label?  From the texture it almost looks like material/cloth!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
when magnified that label looks like its been embroidered....then stuck in place...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:57:23 am »
The label is cloth material - and does have an embroidered look - and is stuck on the bottom of the lamp. That's why I don't know if it's authentic or not. ????

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:52 am »
How were these originally packaged? The fringe could have been bundled into a bag-like thing and tied up around the lamp shade. This would have prevented the fringe from tangling in shipment. The tag might have come off of that?

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:09 am »
I can't speak for Steuben lamps, but I have had a couple of Handel lamps that had cloth labels similar to what is shown here.

Since Steuben would have contracted for the metal bases, it's within reason to think they would have marked the bases with their name.

What are the dimensions of the lamp?

Debbelle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:52:26 am »
My mother had the lamp for many, many years. She has since passed. So, I don't know anything about the lamp or how it was packaged originally. I think she bought it used way before I can remember.

It measures approximately 7-1/2" in 'diameter' across the bottom of the base; and it's approximately 27" tall from bottom to top of the globe.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:26:03 am »
I have seen that shade before when looking at other lamps !! I will try to find it !!