Author Topic: Vintage Metal Pepsi Cola Sign  (Read 1872 times)

cudrak

• View Profile
Vintage Metal Pepsi Cola Sign
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:18 pm »
Hi Everyone:

I found this in my attic.  My house was built in the late 1800's and I'm the third owner.  The attic was in very bad shape so it doesn't surprise me that the previous owner didn't sift through it and he left a bunch of stuff up there. 

Anyway...from what little info I could find on the internet, this metal sign is most likely from the 1930's.  The slogan "Refreshing and Healthful" was used in 1934 and the 2 dashes between "Pepsi" and "Cola" indicates is pre-1951. 

It measures about 50 inches tall, and is in very good shape.  The picture doesn't show the true color of the sign. It's more of a bright yellow than white.  (I took the pic while I was still up in the attic immediately after finding it.)

I saw a similar sign that sold on ebay for $337, but it was in French. 

Does anyone know anything about this sign? I'm interested in knowing approximately what it's worth and where/how best to sell it (i.e. ebay or other auction sites, in-person antique shops, etc.).   

Thank you for your help. Please let me know if you need additional information or pics.

Ipcress

Re: Vintage Metal Pepsi Cola Sign
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »
Is it 1940's ? A couple of similar examples have sold for $400

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:28 pm »
i don,t think we need to find out much more...you,ve done your homework,..you,ve narrowed the timescale down...and you, know what one has already fetched,...as to selling..ebay is world wide....if you go down that road you will most likely have to ship it..which is no big thing..as the buyer pays,...if you sell to an antique shop....expect to get 50% of its value,....so i,d say ebay it...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:26 pm »
Ebay is your best bet !!  Should go around $300. but depends on who is shopping !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:16:55 pm »
You've certainly got the date down close enough. Found this site with some excerpts from a 2002 book on Pepsi collectibles. A screen shot of two 1938 cardboard signs (the pages that would cover the metal signs aren't viewable) shows a very similar bottle ….. (scroll down the pages)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=A3qkEROgsqoC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=1930's+pepsi+cola+memorabilia&source=bl&ots=c8mgOmYBQa&sig=ad90-S_rD771WyDODYN3oPMFORY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7YXDUt3cDInE2wWv9IBo&ved=0CHwQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=1930's%20pepsi%20cola%20memorabilia&f=false

cudrak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:51:24 am »
Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I just listed this on eBay.  It can be found here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Metal-Pepsi-Cola-Sign-1930s-/201013571121?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123