Author Topic: use of this pottery??  (Read 4010 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
use of this pottery??
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:16 pm »
gorgeous as it is, the use is totally foreign to me.  I cleaned out the inside and it had an ashen feel no markings

funny story got it at goodwill for 1.49 today but it was "hidden" inside a bowling ball holder. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: use of this pottery??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
OOOOOOOOOooooo!!...i wish i,d found that....looks great,,,,could use it for melting chocolate,...amongst other things,....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:58:03 pm »
this definitely reminds me of a beehive chocolate melter,...fill the bowl with hot water, stick the blocks of 85% cocoa choc in the cup then wait....then when its liquid stick a strawberry on the end of a skewer......yum,yum,,,

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:17:11 pm »
Really?? I thought you were teasing me--its kinda huge but I really like it a lot

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
Really?? I thought you were teasing me--its kinda huge but I really like it a lot
So do I...stick it in a box,and i,ll pay the postage.... ;D....better still, get using it ....just forget about the calories...cos after all...calories are good for you....thats why God made so many of them.... ;D....did i ever tell you..i used to be called ...Fat Wullie...

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:50:49 pm »
have a good new years thanks wullie--I am really amazed at this--just haven't seen one, no markings on it do you think its from the 70's when fondue's were huge?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
Looks to me like a clay or terra cotta baking dish !! How big is it ?? I used to cook a roast in mine with rock salt over it !!  Talk about mouth watering !!!  Dropped mine and broke it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:00:35 pm »
what else could it be used for...but for melting something in the cup...from the looks of the pottery it looks like glazed earthenware...which if it is will be able to withstand a degree of heat...its a Stonker of a find...for under a quid...well done you...and from what ice has had from Goodwill..its obvious that whatsisname...Ironl ord...ain,t with them .or else he might have snaffled them.... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »
Looks to me like a clay or terra cotta baking dish !! How big is it ?? I used to cook a roast in mine with rock salt over it !!  Talk about mouth watering !!!  Dropped mine and broke it !!
you broke it did you,..and what happened to the aluminium insert did that break too......get yer peepers re-tested.... ;D

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:08 pm »
howdy mart--the base is 6 inches but the body is about 9 inches --this wouldnt fit in a stove

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 03:24:28 pm »
this pot has multiple uses....but making casseroles just is,nt one of them.....i could see this filled with hot water, a tea-lite candle underneath,just to keep the temp up,..then melting choc, or even honey,....me i,d use it as a choc fondue .....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:14 pm »
howdy mart--the base is 6 inches but the body is about 9 inches --this wouldnt fit in a stove

I can cook a 20 lb turkey in my oven !! I think that tiny thing would fit with room to spare !!   Its way too small for what I was talking about !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49:09 pm »

I can cook a 20 lb turkey in my oven !! I think that tiny thing would fit with room to spare !!   Its way too small for what I was talking about !!
...at last the penny has dropped..... ;D...11 mins to go.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »
you broke it did you,..and what happened to the aluminium insert did that break too......get yer peepers re-tested.... ;D

Mine was a terra cotta baking dish !! No insert,,except for the roast, potatoes, carrots ect !!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »
happy new years mart--bet your roasts were great I have terra cotta too love anything cooked in it