Author Topic: Question on Picaninny Freeze sign?  (Read 6621 times)

ThinkTank2000

• View Profile
Question on Picaninny Freeze sign?
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:54:12 pm »
Hi, new here but looks to be active community and maybe some one here has more insight than I on this item I'm looking to buy. I have been collection black Americana and have found a vintage Picaninny Freeze sign on ebay which I'm questioning if it's fake, or if it's original and maybe a really early production sign before the company and trademark was acquired by Hendlers. I already have another more traditional Picaninny Freeze sign (the one you'll see all over doing a google images search. Which has Hendlers logo). Does anybody have any more information on the sign in this listing? Thanks in advance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Find-VINTAGE-Antique-RARE-1922-Picaninny-Freeze-Ice-Cream-Sign-Unique-/221344487909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338928d9e5
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:40:27 am by ThinkTank2000 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question on Picaninny Freeze sign?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:19:37 am »
Can you post the pic to this site,, that one isn`t coming up !! We always need to see the one you have if possible !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:11:58 am »
After looking at the images of the one you are questioning, I would be suspicious based on the appearance of the reverse side. To me, it looks like it has been smeared with a "tea wash" to age it. ???
It would really take a hands on examination to be certain.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:47:23 am »
Even if its a repro...i think if it sold for in the region of $10/$15...i...would ,nt mind...cos after all over here $10 is a gal of gas....i,ve seen similar fake signs make more...and who knows this one might be the real deal,....but if its not, then...you could always get your money back...if you found that after buying it, it was a fake...then you,d contact ebay...telling them ..Item Not as Described...and ..by ebay rules you are entitled to a refund...from where i,m sitting you can,t lose....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:53:02 am »
There supposedly of on eBay for $299.. This person says he can prove the date by the newspaper article that was it's backing. The newspaper was from 1920. I don't know if I would trust that either.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:01:53 am »

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:22 am »
Looks dodgy to me

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:45:59 am »
I thought so too.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:46:54 am »
Look at the board edge,,is it a compressed board like Masonite ??  If so that date wouldn`t fly !! Masonite wasn`t invented till 1924 and was not in widespread use till much later !!

ThinkTank2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:53:16 am »
Wow. Thanks guys, I am overwhelmed by the response from the community. I'm still kinda on the fence, I think I may buy it even if it is a fake because I have a perfect place for it and I tend to be a bit more on the risky side.. Think I'm willing to take the risk on this one.  Don't kill yourself looking but can anybody find any Picaninny Freeze advertising which has the Ice cream pal like the picture here? This is what intrigues me the most and maybe I'm reading too much into it but feel like this may have been an original logo prior to being acquired by Hendler's. I'm going to ask seller for more details about the cardboard since you raise a good point

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »
Just ask simple questions and see how the seller responds !! What they say can give you a good idea if you are being taken for a ride !! You can also check ebay for completed sales as well as other listings he has !! See if he has sold other "original signs ect" !! Few of these people have way too many of them !!

ThinkTank2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »
Thanks that was first thing I did. This seller says all the vintage stuff he is selling right now was purchased as a bulk lot at an estate auction and was buying the lot for a Hires sign but had everything else in it including this sign.  Assuming it is real.. What do you think my max total cost should be? I was thinking $100-$150 is that too far north?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »
like i said n my previous post...if this is,nt what the seller says it is..you raise a dispute, ..but if its for yourself..and you like it..then providing you don,t push the boat out to get it...go for it....We have things here..that we know are not original...but...we enjoy them for what they are....its not always about ....Mmm...can I make money on this or...i only buy originals....but..f rom where i,m sitting...i would,nt fork out more than $50/$60....simply because...i,ve no doubt that..this is,nt the only one on the planet,...its sitting at $10+ at the moment...and if it does,nt climb much higher .i,d be putting my bid in with 5 secs to go....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »
I think that's a good price range assuming it is real !! You kind of have to go by how many are available on the market and who is bidding against you !! Just don`t get caught up in auction frenzy !!

Wullie is right !! Hold your bid till last 10-20 minutes or so !! Wouldn`t cut it quite as close as he would !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:50:55 pm »
i cut it close Mart..for the simple reason...i  don,t get caught in a bidding frenzy...if i were to bid with 10/20 mins left,then that allows someone else to top my bid,which might make me bid again..but with 5 secs left...its what i call a death or glory bid......the other thing is...you have to read between the lines,..i recently won...a model boat...it had 19 bids on it up to £52...there were 9 bidders,..the bids were what i call moosie bids ..small amounts.......and with 10 seconds left it was sitting at £52 and 19 bids...i banged in £65.09 and got it for £65.09.....the bid below me was £65....