Author Topic: 18th century balance scale  (Read 7323 times)

jweams

• View Profile
18th century balance scale
« on: January 01, 2014, 03:32:26 am »
I just purchased this 18th century balance scale in Belgium. The guy did not say where it was from or provide any other information than the century. I am hoping some one can shed some more light on this awesome find!! It is extremely heavy weighing abut 80 pounds. The place in Belgium I bought this has many things from all over the world a lot coming from France so it could be from any of these places. I have tried  to look stuff up on balancing scales but have not come across anything close to this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:41:43 am by jweams »

mart

• View Profile
Re: 18th century balance scale
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:25:19 am »
Any markings on it at all ?? Top,,bottom,, anywhere !!  If its a balance scale,, are the weights marked ??

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:33:11 am »
Would 18th century scales be marked " 30 klgr " ? The term kilo was accepted as an international unit of measure in 1792

They look quite attractive but i'm not sure on age. Maritime / Naval scales ?

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:18:17 am »
The only markings are 30 klgr. Nothing else that I can find.  Weights didn't come with the piece.  I was kind of thinking it could be a fish scale from late 1700s? ? Thoughts?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:03 am »
Found a 'similar' set on Etsy, listed as 1940's Soviet.  There is a name on the front of this one, might help with tracing the history of yours.

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/157511716/antique-scale-large-golden-birds-and?ref=market

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:54 am »
Thank you so much it does give me more to work with....mine is much larger and more detail in the lions but it is a great starting point and I will research the name on this one!!

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:32:46 am »
From what I have found it is likely a Beranger balance, so 1800s. I have not found one as larger as this or with the lion fish....

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 07:52:55 am »
Take a wander through these, hopefully you might find it  ;)

http://eng.vzvt.ru/museum-of-scales/beranger-balances.htm

**There is a 'Contact Us' link at the top of the page
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:54:46 am by sapphire »

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 08:28:31 am »
Thank you!  I have sent them an email!  :)

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:24 am »
Found a 'similar' set on Etsy, listed as 1940's Soviet.  There is a name on the front of this one, might help with tracing the history of yours.

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/157511716/antique-scale-large-golden-birds-and?ref=market

Why are they Russian ? And where are the lions ?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:11 am »

The posting I linked to lists the scales as 'Soviet'. Apparently, from what I have been reading, they were quite common in the Soviet countries…….though Beranger himself was French, many companies copied his invention.   Several styles/makers are represented in the link to the Russian Museum of Weights and Scales.

The lion heads can be seen in the poster's picture of the scales he purchased…….lion's head with a fish body forming the 'legs' of the scale.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:22 am »

see Mart...she has a good source of $1 cheaters.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 10:58:28 am »

The posting I linked to lists the scales as 'Soviet'. Apparently, from what I have been reading, they were quite common in the Soviet countries…….though Beranger himself was French, many companies copied his invention.   Several styles/makers are represented in the link to the Russian Museum of Weights and Scales.

The lion heads can be seen in the poster's picture of the scales he purchased…….lion's head with a fish body forming the 'legs' of the scale.
Yer Knees might be boogered ..but there,s nowt wrong wi yer peepers...well done you....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 11:06:30 am »

Yer Knees might be boogered ..but there,s nowt wrong wi yer peepers...well done you....

Well the worst of the boogered knees just took another beating a few minutes ago. Off the outside stairs and straight down onto frozen gravel covered in an inch of ice. Full hands and full weight = full contact. Sitting here with a bag of frozen fries (no frozen peas in this house). At least the knee is more 'balanced' now………swollen equally on both sides   ;D

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:21 am »

But the Etsy link says Lions Head and i'm talking about that, not the original picture in this thread.
 There are none on the scales in the link. Also little indication they were Soviet made, unless K.H is a soviet maker but not a mention of this in the description.

Can see perfectly well, Wull, thanks.