Author Topic: 18th century balance scale  (Read 7311 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: 18th century balance scale
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
But Sapphire never said there was lions neeps on Etsy link...she said they were on the original posters pic.... ;)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:31:10 am »
I didn't say Sapphire said. I said the Etsy links claims its Russian and with lions but there are none. If you read the Etsy listing they give no explanation.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:33:02 am by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:55:47 am »
Look on the bottom left and right on the etsy link pic !! I think that's what they are talking about !! Doesn`t look like golden birds,, looks like seahorses !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:54 pm »
Here's a shot from the Russian site, seems to the the same or similar base………possibly dragons/griffons that they mistook for lions? And those do look more like small stylized seahorses or dragons on the top portion. This may be what they used as a basis for their description. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »
Looks same as etsy link !!  I agree Sapphire !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:06 pm »
I didn't say Sapphire said. I said the Etsy links claims its Russian and with lions but there are none. If you read the Etsy listing they give no explanation.
You say Black I say White.......nothing changes.... ;)

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 02:42:10 pm »
Here's a shot from the Russian site, seems to the the same or similar base………possibly dragons/griffons that they mistook for lions? And those do look more like small stylized seahorses or dragons on the top portion. This may be what they used as a basis for their description. 

Yeah, just seems like they copied the info without explaining it. They are hardly lions on the scales they're selling.

Anywho, i think we can scratch 18th century from the description of those posted here. And the gilding looks brand new.

Ipcress

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 02:47:15 pm »
In your attempts of one upmanship you don't read the posts. Not a case of black or white, just inference based on other matters.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 11:00:04 pm »
In your attempts of one upmanship you don't read the posts. Not a case of black or white, just inference based on other matters.
like i said....nothing changes......as for me not reading the posts...its a bit like the kettle calling the pot black....cos I never said....that you said Sapphire said that.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:17:44 pm by bigwull »

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:44 am »
I agree we can take 18th century out. ... the gilding looks prefect in the pic but that is after some serious cleaning and there are chunks out of it.  Waiting to hear back from the museum hopefully they will share their thoughts. If anything I think the value is more than what I paid so I'm good with that ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 08:16:10 am »
I agree we can take 18th century out. ... the gilding looks prefect in the pic but that is after some serious cleaning and there are chunks out of it.  Waiting to hear back from the museum hopefully they will share their thoughts. If anything I think the value is more than what I paid so I'm good with that ;D

Profit is always a good thing !!

Ipcress

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:39 am »
like i said....nothing changes......as for me not reading the posts...its a bit like the kettle calling the pot black....cos I never said....that you said Sapphire said that.... ;)

" But Sapphire never said there was lions neeps on Etsy link "

why else would you say that ? That sentence proves you think i misunderstood her.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:34 pm »
Maybe this site can help you out.

It is the site of the International Society of Weighing and Measuring.  They have a contact section...no harm in asking!

http://www.iswm.org/antiquescales.aspx

Also note, the Etsy site has a few scales, all the same model, same condition for the same price from same seller.  Watch history and see values. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:09:43 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 02:49:34 pm »

" But Sapphire never said there was lions neeps on Etsy link "

why else would you say that ? That sentence proves you think i misunderstood her.

you forgot...."and there rest my case for the Prosecution".... ::)

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 03:41:32 am »
I just recently had an appraisal done on all my antiques getting ready for a move.  Thought it might interest some to know this scale is from 1880 beranger scale used at the markets.  Value is 350...I paid 65. :)