Author Topic: nazi uniform patch  (Read 5382 times)

jweams

• View Profile
nazi uniform patch
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:22 am »
I bought this patch for my husband at an antique market, it was inexpensive but it was the only one the guy had. I have looked it up and it is from ss uniforms and have found some sites selling it for 600. Does anyone know if nazi uniform patches can really sell for this much or are these sites crazy??

Ipcress

Re: nazi uniform patch
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:36 am »
No, Third Reich medals and insignia, even the cloth variety, can fetch four figures sometimes.

Can i ask what you think this is ? Do you think it's an Order Of The German Cross ?

Also need an image of the reverse. Looks suspiciously like a repro.

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:28:31 am »
Yes I read it is an Order of the German cross.

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:30:02 am »
I highly doubt it is a repo I bought it in Belgium from a man that specializes in WWII memorabilia.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:53 am »
what is you see Ipcress?  what looks different?  Too new?

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:48 am »
There's a similar guy who wrote reference books and it's been decided many of the items in them are fakes and much of the information he provided was bogus, although it was then thought to be true.

Third Reich medals are a minefield. They recently found some of the machine used to produce them during the war, which makes copying them easier, and occasionally there are reports of stores being unearthed with original insignia or envelopes - they flood the market and people are looking at what appears to be brand new merchandise but is just incredibly well preserved.

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
So do you think this to be real and of some value or it is likely to be a replica? I bought this in Tongeren Belgium.

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:20:01 am »
It's a replica. Stitching, detail etc are wrong. Variations exist but i've also shown the image to a couple of other experts and they agree it's a copy.

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:45 am »
Wow I'm shocked.  Only because of where I got it.  Europe doesn't really have a market for nazi memorabilia for someone to make replicas. Europeans don't like things from that period especially with swastikas.  Thank you for the information though! !

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:13:13 am »

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:18 am »
Wow I'm shocked.  Only because of where I got it.  Europe doesn't really have a market for nazi memorabilia for someone to make replicas. Europeans don't like things from that period especially with swastikas.  Thank you for the information though! !

Eh ? There's massive interest in Third Reich memorabilia.

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 10:20:30 am »
I say this based on the response of the Germans at this market they wouldn't even look at the stuff! ! And acted disgusted! I believe please don't think that just telling you from personal experience and living over here.

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 10:27:40 am »
There are markets and conventions throughout Europe. There are re-enactments. Ebay has restricted the trade but there are still plenty of websites and forums where memorabilia is discussed and traded every day. I've been involved in cataloguing collections for auction and the response is always huge, especially for original items.
Fakes and good quality reproductions have flooded the market and affected some prices but Third Reich militaria is generally more valuable than the British WWII stuff, apart from the gallantry medals and Air Crew Europe star.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:35 am »
Unfortunately, almost anything that is collectible these days can/will have fakes.

This patch is known to have modern pieces made to look old.

Not saying this is your experience...but many a seller has had help from groups to look and oogle over items to encourage sales.  This has happened quite a bit with items being produced in Latvia and sold at collectors meets and shops all around the world. 

This is a good article to read.
http://s276159374.e-shop.info/online/templatemedia/all_lang/resources/DK.pdf

Bottom line, if you aren't a serious collector and you were wanting to buy the Gold Cross...then you have the gold cross as a lovely gift.  You said you got it and it was "inexpensive"...inexpensive in that even if it is a copy you could/would have paid that amount?

Research a bit more before getting out of sorts.  We have all been here and done this at some point in our lives. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jweams

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:04:10 pm »
Oh I'm not upset at all about it.  I was shocked when I looked it up and curious.  I am not a serious collector of this kind of thing just thought my husband may like it and had the opportunity so got it for 10 euro I'm not upset.  ;)