Author Topic: Display cabinet (First furniture purchase) Pictures  (Read 3771 times)

Ironheart

• View Profile
Display cabinet (First furniture purchase) Pictures
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:27:20 am »
Found this piece, when my girlfriend and I were out shopping around today at thrift stores and such.

The price was I feel right at $15.

Any info on this piece in what it is exactly it with the side few windows and lift up top would be greatly appreciated. Any value on it as well would be nice. It's all mahogany from what I can tell. I will be restoring it, once spring time comes with new glass and finish obviously.

Thanks
Daniel  ;D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:28:56 am by Ironheart »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Display cabinet (First furniture purchase) Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:14:23 am »
Unless it is broken, I would not put new glass in it.

You can clean the glass with "00" steel wool.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:24:09 am »
Totally agree with Cogar....iffen..the glass ain,t broken leave well alone,...cos if you replace the glass you,ll have to disturb the glazing beads,and with it being an old piece...you will most likely break some of them...and if you do..they,ll be a pain to replace....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:43 am »
What does the paper say with the numbers on it,,at the bottom ?? The other one too please !! Pics don`t enlarge !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:38 am »
Time you ere getting another pair of cheaters...and maybe a better pc..opens up for me...writing on the right hand ..is Patent numbers.i.e.
Printed in USA
Patented in The United States
July 11 1905....and further dates up to 1922....which makes this ..cabinet a 100 years min...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:36:55 am »
Newspaper can be stuck on anything.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 08:43:51 am »
I would say someone has spent time remodeling an old "Wind up console phonograph" cabinet into what would be more usable for them. They may have replaced wooden panels on the sides with glass, or just cut out the existing wood to provide some natural light. Still, well worth the money.

There were many different designs back in the 20's.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C-q6_CV8KZc/Ti3cIxwgStI/AAAAAAAADEg/H2vm9_IKjWQ/s400/IMG_7026.JPG

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:49:38 am by Rauville »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:12 am »
Well,, unless I am way off this display cabinet/bookcase is likely made by National Bookcase and with the style number and likely date showing in one pic !! 1955 style number to the left of that,, !!
At the bottom on of one of the stuck papers it looks like it starts with "NB customers" !!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:21 am »
Well,, unless I am way off this display cabinet/bookcase is likely made by National Bookcase and with the style number and likely date showing in one pic !! 1955 style number to the left of that,, !!
At the bottom on of one of the stuck papers it looks like it starts with "NB customers" !!

That might be the year for that part, Mart. Looks like it's been worked on, in my opinion.

Or do you mean the 14c is the style number ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:07 am »
Pulls are 50`s,,no key/lock which it would have if 1920`s, or if it has one I can`t see it,,style is 50`s !! Not saying it hasn`t been worked on,,may have,, pics don`t enlarge !!  Is that a brass plate at the bottom front ??

Ironheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »
Pulls are 50`s,,no key/lock which it would have if 1920`s, or if it has one I can`t see it,,style is 50`s !! Not saying it hasn`t been worked on,,may have,, pics don`t enlarge !!  Is that a brass plate at the bottom front ??

Plate at the bottom is not brass. It is painted gold/brass colour.

Ironheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »
1955 is also stamped on the bottom of both doors, as well as I forgot to add this other photo of another piece of paper with some info on the item.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »
Ok !!  That may be the style number !! Is that B med on the bottom ?? That would be the finish tone !! Probably for a medium tone stain !!

Ironheart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »
You are exactly right on that mate. B Med. Hahaha you're awesome dude. Would have never thought.

Do you think I should leave it original? Or should I go with my original plan of restoring it. Not just a slap paint job, but actual nice stain and such?

What kind of value do you think this piece has in general aswell? for what it is?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
Ha !!  Dudette,, not Dude !! :D  But to your question,, if it were mine,, I would refinish it !! Looks like its had a hard life !! I would not replace that glass !! It is an important part of the cabinet and the older glass does help with the value !! Bad thing is value is not that much !! Refinished and cleaned up you might get $100. to $125. depending on where you are !! So restore it to use yourself,, and in another few years it might be worth selling !!  I like it and would have bought it too !!  Oh yes,, for the medallion on bottom I asked about,,check at the hardware store for 24K gold spray paint !! Tape and spray it or brush it on before you stain the cabinet !! When you stain the cabinet go over the medallion with the stain too and quickly wipe any excess off the high points letting some settle in the creases !! Buff to a shine !! Might lay it on its back to do this !! That will give it an antique gold look !! Varnish over all !!
Post pics when you finish it,, would love to see the finished product !!