Author Topic: Heirloom Maddonna with Child (Polish/Ukranian??)  (Read 5257 times)

umiumisumi

• View Profile
Heirloom Maddonna with Child (Polish/Ukranian??)
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:00:08 am »
Hi all, I'm new here.

I just received a family heirloom that I would love to know more about and see if it can be restored at all. 

Here is the history that I know of this item:
My grandmother's family was Polish and Ukranian Catholic (My grandmother was born around 1915), and this item is supposed to be handed down to the oldest daughter in the family.  I don't believe they lived in Poland, as the family ended up as refugees in China after the Communist revolution, and so likely lived either in Russia or another Soviet-bloc state.  I had originally hoped that this was an Orthodox icon, but I think it looks more like a Catholic Madonna from what I've seen on the internet.
There is an inscription on the back which I have included a pic.  I had a Polish friend take a look at it, as my mom thinks it was written in Polish, but it is in Russian and reads as follows: "Restored by Hadzhi Met. 1955" and has a location in Switzerland.  The same thing appears to be written in Italian as well.

Anyhow, I would love any input about this item, or referrals to someone that may know more about this kind of item.

Pics are attachments to this post.  I can get closer/more pictures if anyone wants.

Thank you!
Sumi

mart

• View Profile
Re: Heirloom Maddonna with Child (Polish/Ukranian??)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
Is this done on metal ??

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:43:45 pm »
It looks like plaster on canvas.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:27:33 pm »
Can you take a closer pic of the front so we can see any detail ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:25:45 pm »
Mart, it won't let me enlarge and even though I enlarge it on my screen can't see well enoug either.

What does the ornamentation appear to be made of?  Beads from shell or Bakelite? or Pearls? Strung with string or metal?  Or could it appear to be "cat gut"?

Stitching through to the back?

Better close ups would help some...but really need your observations as well.

Glad to have you here!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:15 pm »
Yes I know !! I can`t see it either !! I am assuming there were faces painted at one time !!  This looks more like a folk art piece than anything "made" to sell !! Perhaps done by one of their family members then passed down !!

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:33 pm »
Hi!  Thank you all for taking a look at this for me.  Here's more photos, I'll try to post them in a larger format if I can.

There are definitely faces, everything painted looks either very oxidized or dirty...

The adornments appear to be beads and bows.  The frame is pretty well sealed with glass on the front.

I think I can only get 1 large pic per post, so here's a detail of the Child

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »
Madonna's face

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »
Here is a close-up showing the canvas or some other textile underneath.  Beads also visible.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »
Certainly has an Orthodox appearance to the painting/backing. Would love to see this in daylight.

Wondering if the beads were added later, over a period of time, to disguise the gradual deterioration of the painting?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:05:01 pm by sapphire »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »
Those close ups help !! Thanks !! It looks like a just a heavy gesso on the canvas !! My suggestion would be to take it out of the frame and clean it before you decide on what else it needs !! If the frame was not sealed well its possible that smoke and dust found its way into it !! Perhaps your family used a fireplace ?? Would be a painstaking process with a bunch of Q-Tips but its possibly just dirty !!  May not need restoration !! I personally would leave it as original as possible !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:26 pm »
Mart, do you think that it could possibly be egg tempera that was used. Was doing a quick search trying to find similar subjects and came across a site that sells Russian icons. One that was vaguely similar (plus several others) are described as using egg tempera. On reading up on the tempera it is mentioned that it needed to be applied to a stiff backing (such as wood) and using it on canvas would cause crackling and pieces of the paint to fall off.

This is the site I was looking at………

http://www.russianstore.com/icons1.htm

and the icon that led me there (egg tempera/gilding on wood)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:25:48 pm by sapphire »

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'll try to get a photo in natural light tomorrow, but it's hard to get a clear image without a big reflection because of the glass.  The frame is VERY well sealed, as far as I can tell.  Pretty darned sturdy.

The beaded portion is on canvas, but the faces seem to be recessed below the canvas portion, which reminds me of more modern Russian Orthodox style icons, so it is possible that the faces are painted onto something more solid.

I'm super scared to open the frame on my own...  I'm in northern CA, does anyone know of someplace/someone I could take this to to get it looked at?  Otherwise, we'll just put her someplace in our home that she's not going to spook out visitors. (She's been in my parents' garage for the last 30 years because she's just a little too creepy for them.  I'm in the process of becoming Orthodox, so I'm not as weirded out by old icons as they are....)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:29:45 pm by umiumisumi »

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:40 pm »
You know, I think she may be a version of the "Black Madonna":
http://www.marypages.com/Czestochowa2.gif

That would make sense, because of the Polish connection.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »
I have some icons I brought back from my travels and they are painted on wood - very common.  Have one painted on cardboard, one on silk, etc.

Have seen white Madonna's, brown, black, etc.  So not sure what the original color scheme was.

Canvas wasn't that easy to come by even way back when for the Russian/Ukraine areas (except for those better off).  Many were very resourceful.  I was wondering...if it is a more delicate material used that is adhered to the wood.

I personally wouldn't do anything to it until I would find out more about it and would keep asking and get a "hands-on" inspection.  

Family heirloom.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!