Author Topic: Heirloom Maddonna with Child (Polish/Ukranian??)  (Read 5262 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Heirloom Maddonna with Child (Polish/Ukranian??)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »
In the closeup pic of the child, when enlarged…….does that look more like a burlap type weave? A coarser 'thread' and much larger/uneven spacing than canvas?

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
I would agree that it does look coarse. I hadn't considered burlap as a substrate.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 07:50:55 am »
Anything is possible !!  Looking closer I agree it doesn`t look like a canvas fabric as we know it !! Depending on age could be an egg tempura !! I do see what you are talking about with the face !! Looks like a border of fabric around it but all is difficult without a hands on inspection !! Any reputable frame shop or art gallery should be able to remove the frame without damage !! Except for a few,, I think the beads have been added over time by family members and are not a part of the original work !! You really need to do some family research to find out !! Or they could have been added after a death of a family member as a remembrance !! Maybe the beads were from a favorite piece of jewelry !! You did say that it was handed down through the females in the family ??  Mother to daughter didn,`t you ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:24 am »
Mart, stringing of beads and bead work has been a long standing tradition in Russia and the Ukraine area for a v-e-r-y long time.  It was one of those handicrafts that girls were taught (mainly needlework (“nyzynka”), embroidery, crewel embroidery in English terms) which is a dying art and some are trying to revive there.  Beading was taught as well, but not as prevalent because of the cost of beads, but still taught.

I do think this was a piece of family handiwork and a great Family Heirloom.  If in fact the story is correct, this has been a treasured piece in this family and people have worked hard to preserve it.  Once you do find out the correct composition of the piece you should compile the information and attach it to the back of the frame so that future generations can try and get the depth of importance of the piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

umiumisumi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35:56 am »
I'm really torn on what to do with this icon... She is a family heirloom, but she is in very, very poor shape and I don't know if she can be fixed up (or if she could I'm not sure I have the funds to pay someone to do it.)  The Orthodox are very serious about their icons, and I'm seeking advice from more knowledgeable Orthodox on what I should do with her.  It may be more respectful to her to have her 'decommissioned' and respectfully disposed of as is custom for icons that are badly damaged.  I'll keep you all updated on what we end up doing with her.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 12:03:13 pm »
You might consider taking it to a reputable museum and asking their opinion !! They can work wonders with art pieces !! Get an estimate from them as to the cost of a restoration,,my opinion is that just a good cleaning would help !! Even though you think it is well sealed,, it may not be !! They can give you the best recommendations !!  If you decommission the piece,,much of your family history goes with it so that is something to think about !! And yes please keep us updated on your decision !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »
Well said Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:06 pm »
Would be sad to see it go after being passed down for so many years !!