Author Topic: Rash of Ebay buyers trying to choose price?  (Read 9003 times)

icedgold10

• View Profile
Rash of Ebay buyers trying to choose price?
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:53:56 pm »
Recently I have people contacting me saying how interested in my item they are but they want to pay a much lower price(around half price).  They name the price they want to pay.  There is no best offer on the listing so I don't get it?  At least offer a reasonable amount to ask off, but this seems like recently it's trying to go to the bartering system?  Anyone else had this issue?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Rash of Ebay buyers trying to choose price?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:40:26 pm »
it happens...if they see an item thats been on for a few days with no bids...and little or no watchers...they then think...i don,t get if i don,t ask,.....cos the way they see it...you could be a single parent who,s desperate for money, and...you might end up with no bids...one thing you can be sure of...none of them thats messaged you..will bid....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »
One person was a dealer and I know she wanted it to resell so I'm thinking NOT! Ugh!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:29 pm »
I haven't started back listing after the holidays !! Might later this week though, so I will see if I have a problem with it !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:27 pm »
Sometimes I'll ask a seller if they have any flexibility with the price if I feel that it is a little high. Most of the time sellers will drop it down a little. Sometimes they say they need to stick to the price listed. It can't hurt to ask.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:59:27 pm »
ebay,s just like a long distance flea market,...you,never pay the asking price there,and its the same with ebay,...you have a 50/50 chance

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »
Never had a problem with ebay but I never use a BIN either.   Guess I am different,,if I see it and I want it and if its a fair price,,then I buy it !!  If its an inflated price I don`t buy it !!  Simple !!  The time it takes for me to fiddle fart around with the seller for a few bucks,, is time I could be using to look for something really good !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:39:17 pm »
Never had a problem with ebay but I never use a BIN either.   Guess I am different,,if I see it and I want it and if its a fair price,,then I buy it !!  If its an inflated price I don`t buy it !!  Simple !!  The time it takes for me to fiddle fart around with the seller for a few bucks,, is time I could be using to look for something really good !!
yeah well...that,s the trouble with dial up...slow,slow, stop,.you,d be quicker using,a carrier pigeon...when communicating....co s what with yer dial up,..and yer phone that never gets answered....no matter what time it rings....its small wonder you don,t want to fiddle about....as uncle ernie said... ;D.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »
 ;D  Your never going to give it a rest are ya` ??  LOL

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:29:23 am »
;D  Your never going to give it a rest are ya` ??  LOL
Well!!....maybe if ya answered yer bloody phone....i could...... ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:53 pm »
A lot of people don't use BIN and I sometimes shake my head over it because there are often good deals to be had. I've seen people bid higher for item A when they could have bought item B for less on a different BIN auction. I think sometimes it is the thrill of the hunt and the adrenalin rush that they are paying for.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »
You,ve hit the nail on the head ,there Tales.....buy it now,s have no thrill attachment....but winning an auction with what i call, "a death or glory bid"..within the last 5secs,...give me a great feeling...and more so if its only by a few pence....like what happened a few weeks ago,..i bid £350.03 with less than 5 secs left,..and won the item for that price,..the bid below me was £350.....

Classy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
I'm guilty of messaging sellers and asking them for a better price, sometimes they don't reply, sometimes they say no, and sometimes they come back a few days later asking if I'm still interested in that price.

"if you don't ask you don't get"

regarding the Auction vs BIN, this is pretty tricky, when I started ebay I would list 90% of my items as auction but now it's the opposite, I usually only have a very small margin of profit with ebay fees, paypal fee's, taxes, time spent. When auctions turn out bad and you get way lower than you expected it's sole destroying lol

Lately I've been listing items as BIN over 30 days for the highest price possible, and then lowering it every 10 days or so, I don't mind waiting for a bigger price. Plus if you have an ebay shop you can run sales too which I need to do more of.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »
Can someone explain "BIN" to a newbie and a non-Ebay seller? (I am contemplating selling online and am interested in the pros and cons of each site.) Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
That would be a "buy it now" set price listing !! I have pretty good results with ebay but I only list for 3 days  and have never used a bin pricing !! You will get most bids on the first 3 pages of a search and the quicker I can get it there the better !! With 5 day listing or more even the watchers forget about it or have time to find another with a lower start price and usually you lose the sale !! I put my start price at a small profit and see where it goes from there !!