Author Topic: Stars & Stripes Barber Bottle  (Read 1744 times)

Sue444

• View Profile
Stars & Stripes Barber Bottle
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:25:52 pm »
Hey, new to the forums, and already have another item that is in limbo. It's what we think is an old barber's bottle, but we're not sure, it might be new. It's got a pontil mark that's been ground smooth, and has visible signs of wear. Again we'll be quite happy with any info anyone can give us. Thanks, Sue.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:26:55 pm »
Hi Sue........Stars and Stripes pattern was originally produced by Beaumont Glass Co., Martins Ferry, Ohio. The company started in 1895. Reproduced barber bottles were made in this pattern several years ago (guessing 1950's). I don't know which category yours fall into. Newer ones are slicker, thickness varies, the stars and stripes have a bluish cast to them. I believe the newer ones have a "+" mold mark when held to a bright light. It would have had a metal stopper of sorts.....

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
- Robert Orben

Sue444

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:53:12 pm »
Hey, Tim, thanks for the info. :D  You said the newer ones had the "+" mold mark, well do the older ones have a "l" mold mark from possibly a two piece mold. It appears to have the latter. Again thanks alot in advance. Later, Sue  

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 07:21:45 am »
Hi Sue........sorry I can't say. You need to take it to someone knowledgable in victorian glass and can examine it. Even if it's 50 years old and not 100 years old it's still collectible. Just harder to put a value on. Most 1880's victorian glass as we know it today was reproduced from earlier glass.

Sue444

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 11:38:39 pm »
Hey, no problem Tim. Many thanks   :)  Later, Sue.