Author Topic: Need advice - Antique Victorian Chair  (Read 3872 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice - Antique Victorian Chair
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »
Most reproductions in the mid to late 1900's in our area have a very reddish color to them from the staining.  I am not seeing that on this chair…but the last picture is nudging me that it is a reproduction piece, which is fine, but will not garner as much $$ especially in your area.  Can we please see a picture of the bottom of the chair (webbing)?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 03:05:39 pm »
Looking at that crest,, I think early repro too !! Still think 20`s !!

mikers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:38 am »
Here is the bottom..

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00:00 am »
looks like a modernish re-cover,and...those castor wheels...what are they made of....from what i see they are synthetic...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 04:46:20 am »
Me thinks those wheels are metal, like rolled tin that is hollow,  ..... like the ones at the top in this picture.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:02:46 am »
i,m not seeing that Cogar,..for if they were ..why go to the trouble to paint them black....and..furth ermore, they look like dust/fibres are sticking to them...this would,nt happen iffen they were metal....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:30 am »
I'll stick with early 20th but i'll caveat that once again with saying that viewing images of furniture taken with flash photography isn't ideal.

Legs, chair back and arm ends also don't give me a Victorian feel.

There are some things you can view online and they just are what they are. Little extra is necessary.
Others are more difficult and flash photography can distort the appearance of porcelain paste, ink colour, wood grain and texture etc

The good thing about this type of item is that it's likelier to sell for more in an auction room or viewed by the public, whereas some items fetch more online.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 04:22:28 am »
i,m not seeing that Cogar,..for if they were ..why go to the trouble to paint them black....and..furth ermore, they look like dust/fibres are sticking to them...this would,nt happen iffen they were metal....

Bigwull, you might be right, but, ..... I was just going by the way the caster looks to be made.

Now I once had a couple casters that looked like that in my "spare parts" collection and as you can see in the re-posted photo below, that caster is molded cast iron which dates it like maybe pre-1920. And if I remember right they had metal wheels on them and the wheel is attached with a rivet and it can't be removed without grinding the head off the rivet.

I found this:

The invention of casters was a major boost for wheels, when David A. Fisher patented the furniture caster in 1876. At the turn of the century, most of the casters were not heavy, industrial types and were primarily all made with glass and leather wheels, which allowed for easy movement on hardwood floors. Most casters were made of cast iron.
http://www.themhedajournal.org/content/3q04/casters.php