Author Topic: my useage of certain words...  (Read 10782 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: my useage of certain words...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:48 am »
I did not see it and can only guess what the word was. If the W was followed by an I, Monty Python used it often but it still can mean something vulgar according to the Urban Dictionary. If the W was followed by an A there is only one meaning on this side of the pond which is not that much better than the C word. Does that make sense?
As for the use of the exclamation mark, it should be reserved for exclaiming which is a sudden ejaculation of words like Holy Moly! or Oh Sh-t!  It may also be used in a phrase of panic or excitement like "Get off of there before you fall you idiot!" As a writer, I had a terrible habit of using it too much and it was hard to break. If it is used to much it becomes meaningless when it is really needed.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »
But without my own personal quirks,,I would be so boring !!  Not fun !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »
Given this is an Antique Questions Forum it only seems sensible that one should be using vintage and antique verbiage (pre-1980).

If someone starts pushing that damnable PC crapolla then we will hafta start talking in hieroglyphics or sign language so that poor little Johnnie or Jennie's feelings won't be hurt causing them to be non-achieving handicapped individuals for the rest of their lives living off of their monthly government assistant checks.
Compassion and acceptance are always something to keep in mind.  I have had some extreme challenges in life its been a very hard life but it taught me never to judge because until you walk in another persons shoes you don't know who they are.  I'm not into the pc thing but don't lose sight that we are all someone's child, parent, sibling...

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 06:47:49 am »

You should develop Mart Code. Just a combination of !! and spaces  ;D  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 08:47:20 am »
Ha !!  maybe I should,,,just to keep things lively !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:52 am »
 ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:10 am »
Three commas !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:48 am »
Perhaps you need to visit Texas and listen to us a while,,then you would understand !! ;D  You would be the only person in the UK with a Texas drawl !!  Its quite colorful when you get a few of us together !! 
We are not strange at all compared to south Louisiana !! That's like another country !! The French can`t even understand Cajun French, then mix it with the typical Southern language and its something rather unusual !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »

Mart;
What did you do back in High School, when typewriters didn't have the ! key? :)

http://www.macwebguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/olympiaportabletypewritekeyboard.jpg

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

Mart;
What did you do back in High School, when typewriters didn't have the ! key? :)

Sure it did!!! :)  Top right hand side!!! Above the 3/4!!! Sorry I couldn't help myself!!! GG

http://www.macwebguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/olympiaportabletypewritekeyboard.jpg

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »
Dangit...that was a poor example. This is similar to the one I learned to type on. ::)
http://www.davidkirkaldy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bigstock-Vintage-typewriter-keyboard-b-26089472.jpg
To make an exclamation mark, it was a two-key process.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
I remember those...gosh, that's dating myself. :D  You had to do a "period", backspace, and then "Shift" and "8" key.  Of course, that was back when you HAD to be a good typist as well. No such things as White-out, just pencil shaped erasers. And you didn't use those unless you absolutely had to, as they left smudges. Made a mistake? Start over. Pure and simple.

And those things weren't easy on the fingers, either.  You had to be pretty heavy-handed to get the keys to depress with enough pressure to give a clear imprint on the paper.  You could always tell those of us who learned on manual type writers from those who learned on electric.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:42:57 pm by Dogaman »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »
Didn`t make any difference what they used,, even though I took typing in HS and another class after I got out of HS I could not learn to type !! Teachers just pulled their hair out !! I can not make one hand work independently of the other,,at least not on a keyboard !! Where one goes the other follows !! Only "fix" is to only use one hand at a time !!  Weird !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »
Perhaps you need to visit Texas and listen to us a while,,then you would understand !! ;D  You would be the only person in the UK with a Texas drawl !!  Its quite colorful when you get a few of us together !! 
We are not strange at all compared to south Louisiana !! That's like another country !! The French can`t even understand Cajun French, then mix it with the typical Southern language and its something rather unusual !!
colourful when a few of you are together....Ha..... you can say that again.........you lot are like Scotsman...you could start a barney in an empty hoose....there,s nothing a Texan likes more...than drinking and bullshitting....tru st me i know....and as for them Frenchies....they,re like A/S,s....they,re something else.....and ..that gumbo of theirs....well suffice to say...i hate gumbo.....i did,nt mind it when it was dead...but there were times when it was,nt.... ;D!!!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 02:40:50 pm »
Never came across any live gumbo but the dead stuff is good !! Did you try the boudain ?? Also excellent if well made !! Non of that grocery store stuff though !!