Author Topic: my useage of certain words...  (Read 10786 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
my useage of certain words...
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »
It has been brought to my attention...that i  used what was reported as a vulgar,and derogatory  word against G,acre,...had the person who reported this,read the preamble beforehand..they would, or should have realised that my useage of this word was not meant as a vulgar remark...i,ve just googled ..this word..and yes..i saw its inital meaning...and..can honestly say...my first reaction was .."shit"..now i know what they are on about...but ...where i am ..its useage is common when fronted by silly, t**t....and if you google silly t**t...it brings up an entirely different meaning...and this is what i meant..I never for one millisecond thought that i was being vulgar...and for those on here who really know me..will have realised that i meant no harm...as for the others...well they saw what they saw...and put 2+2 together...and in this instance got 5....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:47:20 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
Re: my useage of certain words...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »
I knew !!

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »
I didn't see the original post but the word is derogatory however it's used, either in friendly banter or not.

However, it's the use of punctuation that annoys me   :P

If i had a dollar for every !! or ..... i saw on here,i'd buy Edward Hopper's New York Movie.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:26 pm »
Awww come on Ipcress !! I have done that for so many years that if I stopped,,,they would send the coroner to my house !!  ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:43:05 pm »
Awww come on Ipcress !! I have done that for so many years that if I stopped,,,they would send the coroner to my house !!  ;D

I do believe if some of us laid off those 'extra' keys no one would believe it was really us posting. I find it puts a bit more personality and life into the words being read. Not to mention it's a lifelong habit that to stop would have me forever deleting and losing track of what I was saying.

Not having seen the original posts, only catching up along the way, I must add that I actually had to google to find where the offence was taken. Quite honestly, I grew up with a proper, Victorian mother and a rather reserved father………yet 'that' word and others that some may find off-putting……did not raise the same response that they would in other areas of the continent. Were I a Newf or a Caper, rather than a Bluenoser,  I'm sure my vocabulary would be even more colourful……..and quite likely, highly censored or completely misunderstood.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »
ok I missed it what was the word?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:35 pm »
I guess I annoy you Ipcress with all my punctuation marks!!!  LOL

I didn't see the post in question either!!!!!!!!!!  (Sorry Ipcress...couldn't resist!) But totally agree WE ALL have to be mindful because this is a great site full of great people! (Wow, that killed me not putting a bunch of exclamation marks.)

I was raised with punctuation marks to emphasize (old school) and was further ingrained with that by texting to/from my kids and all their friends, etc.

I will work on it! (see, one exclamation mark and no pondering/trailing off dots.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »
I love you all the you are.That's what makes things interesting.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:38:39 pm »

I do believe if some of us laid off those 'extra' keys no one would believe it was really us posting. I find it puts a bit more personality and life into the words being read. Not to mention it's a lifelong habit that to stop would have me forever deleting and losing track of what I was saying.

Not having seen the original posts, only catching up along the way, I must add that I actually had to google to find where the offence was taken. Quite honestly, I grew up with a proper, Victorian mother and a rather reserved father………yet 'that' word and others that some may find off-putting……did not raise the same response that they would in other areas of the continent. Were I a Newf or a Caper, rather than a Bluenoser,  I'm sure my vocabulary would be even more colourful……..and quite likely, highly censored or completely misunderstood.

Me too Sapphire !! Evidently that word never made it to Texas !!  Of course they have invented a lot of new ones recently !! Don`t know those either !! Just know the ones from my generation !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »

I was raised with punctuation marks to emphasize (old school)   Yup, same here

and was further ingrained with that by texting to/from my kids and all their friends, etc. This elicited a knowing chuckle  ;)  You did WHAT __________<<<<<(insert appropriate/autoresponse/favourite symbol/s here)

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:21:23 pm »
I was raised with very proper use of punctuation. I have to admit when I saw all the !!!! on here I was baffled by it. I thought people were yelling at me at first.  lol  To each his own. haha

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:26 am »
Given this is an Antique Questions Forum it only seems sensible that one should be using vintage and antique verbiage (pre-1980).

If someone starts pushing that damnable PC crapolla then we will hafta start talking in hieroglyphics or sign language so that poor little Johnnie or Jennie's feelings won't be hurt causing them to be non-achieving handicapped individuals for the rest of their lives living off of their monthly government assistant checks.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:27:40 am »
Its not often that i,m left speechless Cogar........but... .Mmm.........!! ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 05:32:04 am »
I guess I annoy you Ipcress with all my punctuation marks!!!  LOL

I didn't see the post in question either!!!!!!!!!!  (Sorry Ipcress...couldn't resist!) But totally agree WE ALL have to be mindful because this is a great site full of great people! (Wow, that killed me not putting a bunch of exclamation marks.)

I was raised with punctuation marks to emphasize (old school) and was further ingrained with that by texting to/from my kids and all their friends, etc.

I will work on it! (see, one exclamation mark and no pondering/trailing off dots.)
you leave my dots alone.....they are sensitive dots........... :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 07:52:59 am »
Classic example of lemons to lemonade by the forum group !!  ;D