Author Topic: How much is this worth?  (Read 8808 times)

Dogaman

• View Profile
Re: How much is this worth?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 01:05:22 pm »
Wull,

Okay, I follow you!  But actually, Do-ga-man was a name I used eons ago on the internet. And I used "Mynx" on MIRC; if you remember when that was big back in the '90's.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
Allegory of Truth
Henri Michel Antoine Chapu

http://www.arcadja.com/auctions/en/chapu_henri_michel_antoine/artist/5360/

Description:
 Lot 6 Henri Michel Antoine Chapu French, 1833-1891 Allegory of Truth , from a monument to Gustave Flaubert Signed h. chapu ; stamped with Thiebaut Freres foundry mark Bronze mounted on red marble base Height excluding mount 13 3/4 inches C Estimate $1,000-1,500 Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:18:59 pm by cogar »

Ipcress

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »
H. Chapu

http://www.artnet.com/artwork/72755/68/henri-michel-antoine-chapu-a-french-gilt-bronze-plaque-334.html

This is close to yours. Shown is "Allegory of Truth". But looking at your pic and that shown at the sites, I think it is just your camera angle that threw me off.

Others here might have other thoughts.

This is a copy /  rip off though.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 01:56:16 pm »
Ipcress,

What I meant in my post was that I found the artist and possibly something close to his piece. If it were me in his shoes, I would have it authenticated and, if real, then have it professionally cleaned.

I am not, nor do not, profess to be smart in all this. I, too, am learning.  I just enjoy playing Sherlock Holmes.

Sorry if my post created the wrong impression.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »
Since this is looks like a wall plaque instead of a statue I think you can mark off $28,000. !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 02:17:49 pm »
Wull,

Okay, I follow you!  But actually, Do-ga-man was a name I used eons ago on the internet. And I used "Mynx" on MIRC; if you remember when that was big back in the '90's.
MIRC...you,ve lost me....as for minx...well that conjures up many different meanings on this side of the pond...e.g....she,s a minx..steer clear.of her... ;D....or ...there,s Super Minx....that was the name of a car...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »
Ipcress,

What I meant in my post was that I found the artist and possibly something close to his piece. If it were me in his shoes, I would have it authenticated and, if real, then have it professionally cleaned.

I am not, nor do not, profess to be smart in all this. I, too, am learning.  I just enjoy playing Sherlock Holmes.

Not at all ! Just that i've seen threads where people focus on and subsequently spend hours researching certain details without informing the original poster of their opinion of the item in general.

It's based on something in the Met Museum but is a copy and i'm not sure it could even be described as an ' after ' casting.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »
Ipcress,

I am not, nor do not, profess to be smart in all this. I, too, am learning.  I just enjoy playing Sherlock Holmes.

What are you apologising for...you,ve no need to apologise...you did the sleuthing...whilst some of us ..did the looking....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:44:51 am by bigwull »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 01:43:27 am »
Ipcress,

Not at all ! Just that i've seen threads where people focus on and subsequently spend hours researching certain details without informing the original poster of their opinion of the item in general.

It's based on something in the Met Museum but is a copy and i'm not sure it could even be described as an ' after ' casting.
maybe you should always practice what you preach... ::)

Ipcress

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
Seriously, give it a rest. You even complained and started a new thread when i had a smite removed

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »
Seriously, give it a rest. You even complained and started a new thread when i had a smite removed

oh!!, we are singing a different tune now..are,nt we, was,nt that when you..had a go at me last month...when it had nothing to do with you.....but...you,re right..i,ll give it a rest......... for now...

Ipcress

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »
No, it was earlier.

But i only responded last time to you abusing another forum member by private message. I wasn't the only one and you can hardly expect people to just accept that without an explanation. You apologised, which is fair enough.

What type of forum member complains when someone has a smite removed when it was possibly given by mistake ?! The type that gave it in the first place.

If there was an ignore function i'd use it.