Author Topic: Anyone have any info on this antique cabinet?  (Read 5688 times)

Mastersmiz

• View Profile
Anyone have any info on this antique cabinet?
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »
Hi, I recently acquired this antique cabinet from a neighbor of mine who passed away. She had told me she paid a large amount of money for this a very long time ago and that it was seen in an old movie. I have no idea from what time period this cabinet is from or the maker of it. It has no markings on it indicating a brand or artist, if anyone has any information on this piece it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

*Thank you to everyone who took the time out to reply and give their input, I've updated the post with some more detailed pics, the bottom of the cabinet is made entirely of wood including the molding above the drawer, only the hardware is metal, I found some type of code inside the hinges labeled "F583" on all four of them as well. Im gonna post another pic of the inside of the cabinet either tonight or tomorrow as well I just have to empty it out to show all the details because right now it is full of stuff my parents crammed in it. I'm looking to most likely sell this cabinet for my parents who no longer want it in their home, but of course want to get it properly appraised first. If anyone can give me an idea of what this particular type of cabinet usually sells for it would help a lot, thanks.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:18:22 am by Mastersmiz »

Ipcress

Re: Anyone have any info on this antique cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
A Japanned cabinet. Sometimes it's just the cabinet and it sits on a table, sometimes the cabinet itself is floor standing
Early 20th. Quite popular in the 20's. Something you might see in an old Charlie Chan movie or film noir.

I wouldn't think about retiring but they can sell well. Unfortunately green is not the best colour. Red or black would have been better. 17th and 18th century ones make more.

* Of course, if it happens to have been on the set of The Maltese Falcon or something like that, then value goes up massively. But it's identifying the film and then proving it that's almost impossible without more info.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:52:12 pm by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »
I agree with Ipcress !!  1920`s would be my estimate too !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
It is stunning though!  I love the green..

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »
I agree with all.  I think it is a great decorative piece. They were made in red but I actually like the green better.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:25 pm »
I have a question...what is around the molding above the drawer? Is it metal work or carving?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 08:00:27 pm »
i also have a question..and i,m surprised Mart did,nt ask it...can we see inside the cabinet....and..its been mooted that green is an unpopular colour...can,t see why.i too like green....and as it happens someone else liked green....in fact out of 10 that i,ve looked at..8 have been green...not including this one which makes 9

http://www.bridgemanart.com/en-GB/asset/780667/dutch-school-18th-century/collectors-cabinet-on-stand-c-1700-30-gilt-green-japanning-see-also-780666-8

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 08:28:55 pm »
Oh they made a lot of green ones !! But now days its not the most popular seller Like Ipcress said the red and black bring more money than green !! Green ones always had a problem of looking faded out compared to the other colors !!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23:22 pm »
Vast majority are black. If 9 out of 10 were green then i'd suggest someone had searched for green cabinets  :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:50:19 am »
Vast majority are black. If 9 out of 10 were green then i'd suggest someone had searched for green cabinets  :P
where i come from...it either he or she, or him or her...but only someone if their identity is unknown...as for the colour...I,m not coloured blind...or blinkered.... ;)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:23 am »
Could you post a picture of the inside of the cabinet and closeups of any hardware please.

Believe it or not, greens like this are picking up in popularity!

Black is classic and transcends time on these.

Wullie, I like the green one as well.  Especially with the dark wood bottom on it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:36 am »
where i come from...it either he or she, or him or her...but only someone if their identity is unknown...as for the colour...I,m not coloured blind...or blinkered.... ;)

You didn't use any of those terms earlier when saying it had been " mooted " that green was the more unpopular colour ?

And a Google image search for Japanese cabinet or Japanned cabinet or Japanese Lacquer Cabinet and variations thereof reveals the vast majority are indeed black.

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:51 am »
Greeting's Good people. Dewain formerly of D&B Antiques. the cabinet in Question is from the Chineseorire Period, Circa 1850 to 1900 it was designed for the American market.

Even tho that period started in the 17th century. But indications are it is after circa 1905.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:42 pm »
HAPPY DANCE  HAPPY DANCE   HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!  D&B is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:44:04 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
Let me be the second to say WELCOME BACK,,D&B Antiques !!  Have read your old posts !!  We have been wondering where you were !!