Poll

No idea what this hourglass is worth

origin
0 (0%)
appraisal
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Old Hour Glass  (Read 5125 times)

goombah372002

• View Profile
Old Hour Glass
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:41:47 pm »
This hour glass belonged to my grandmother. She knew a lot about antiques and had them all over the house. But this hour glass was especially well guarded. She passed away when I was young so I don't remember the story of it's origin. Now my mother is not capable of remembering, but this hourglass has stayed well guarded over these many years, with the only info about it is that my mother says it belongs in the Smithsonian...I have tried to research it, but have reached no results on historical hourglasses....I would like to sell it, because my life has changed gears into 'get rid of' mode and I'm not wanting to be the 'guard' anymore...It's primitively made with no marks to research, metal construction, the glass appears hand blown, amber colored sand....The way the metal stand is built, and the supports for the glass, are different than any other hourglass I've seen. Could that be a factor in determining it's age and origin?

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Old Hour Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:16 pm »
Very cool old hourglass , goombah372002 ...

Could you please post some info , as to duration of the sand-fall & gen'l dimensions of your item ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:36 pm »
Yes, would like to know if this is a 10 minute, 30 minute hourglass!

Very neat looking piece!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

goombah372002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »
I measured the metal frame...5" across the end...8 and 1/4" tall....Have to let the partial sand in one side drain, then will time it...I'm sure it will be more than 30 minutes...Will let you know...This isn't a small 10 minute hourglass...just turned...starting at 6:45....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »
From what I can see,, there doesn`t appear to be anything unique or unusual about it !! Could be 18th or 19th century !! It isn`t marked in anyway is it ?? Without documentation proving its historical provenance,, its just a neat old hourglass !!
If you had gotten the story from your grandmother and could prove it had historical significance,,might be different outcome !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:39:05 pm »
I'm a little curious to know what type of metal(s)  have been used in your item ... maybe check them with a magnent .... sometimes a cast bronze frame has more interest with collectors (as well as cast iron) .

Also .... you might wish to take a close look , with a magnifyer , @ the uprights holding the top & bottom plates in place , so as to check for various wear-marks on them , including those that might have been caused from a 'slider/gimbal' assembly being run up/down them ...

Just sayin' that perhaps it once had a bit more of a protective housing/stand .

Big congrats to g-ma (& you) for keeping this fragile unit intact !

Nice design with the friction-loops holding the glass too , IMO !

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:58:17 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:56:57 pm »
I'm pondering what the grains in the glass are.  You know at one point they used pulverized, burnt eggshells.  The grains on this are really golden...  Early on was made by dust of marble, sand, lead and tin dust (but problems with rusting on metal dust), etc.

With the type friction holder on it, most likely for navigational purposes on a boat, train, etc.

You know a sand glass was originally referred to as a sea clock because it was used so often on ships/boats.  Up to that time the clepsydra (water clock) was used but was unreliable with movement and condensation would build up inside the bulbs adding more water than was accounted for and changing the time/s.

I totally agree about this being such a fragile item that has been well loved and kept intact.  Sure wish I knew who to refer them to.  Would hate to see this leave the family and/or slip away without finding out further about it. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

goombah372002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:59 am »
Thank you for the replies and info...Timed at 57 minutes and I'm trying it again...The sand does appear to be a darker ocher / amber...Under a light ( not as good as day light) it appears to move like sand while gently turned, but not sure how egg shell or marble dust would move... I had tried to look up nautical history on hourglasses with no luck. A magnet does stick to all the metal and it all appears to be of the same type of metal, with rivets that go all the way through..No mark on top of the rivet..bottom of rivet is primitively cut, not a consistent size or shape on any two..Along the edge of both top and bottom disk it has tiny ridges which seem like they are from what ever method of cutting the metal maybe...I have tried to find any kind of mark, but will take it out in the day light to see better and take better photos tomorrow. I hope to find someone who knows about these kinds of pieces, that's why I'm here...I can remember playing with this as a child and my grandmother standing near, to put it back in her bay window in the dining room that held many fascinating pieces. Ones that I was only allowed to look at with permission....I don't know if my mother ever knew the true story of the hourglass..My grandmother liked keeping things mysterious...She even took her wonderful recipe for Jambalaya to her grave...She and my mother were such 'Southern Belles'...lol 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:39 am »
That texture on the bottom is from the casting process !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:18 am »
With the industrial type workmanship, it may have been originally used in a factory setting. ???

Here's some background history:
http://www.hourglassesonline.com/history.html

goombah372002

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »
The texture seems to be an accumulation of years of dust with a little rust...Possible traces of gun bluing are exposed where the textured build up has flaked off ..I don't know what is acceptable to remove and keep the possible value, so I'm not going to       attempt to clean it...The edges of the top and bottom disks are 'coined' and appear to be 14 ga ....The arms are of 1/8" x 1/2" and hand done...All of the rivets are obviously hand done...They do not match in size on top or bottom of each disk..The rivet holding the glass holder to the frame was cut off quite messy. The holes that hold the nipples of the glass in place are hand done...Shiny metal is exposed on the rivets, where the piece sets, the photo of those rivets makes them appear dimpled, but they are flat, irregular and shiny...The nipples on each end of the glass are different in size....There does not appear to be wear on the arms from a 'slider'.....Hope I got all questions....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:27:38 am »
There does not appear to be wear on the arms from a 'slider'

There is no "slider" ..... and I don't think it can rotate on that center rivet. (the 4 side pieces are equally spaced)

I think the whole unit was turned upside down to re-start the timer.

goombah372002

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »
Is anyone here an appraiser? Or have information about how I can find out about this piece? Someone, somewhere must have some knowledge of old hourglasses...I just can't seem to find a lead...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »
Have you ever stopped to think.....maybe this is the only one in existance....hence the reason you or anyone on here can,t find an exact replica,...and If that man with the big book thats wedged between the cheeks of his arse can,t find it...then..i.m afraid..you.,ve had it.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »
You did say a magnet stuck to it didn`t you ?? So its ferrous metal !! I agree with Rauville that its roughly made because it was used in industry of some sort where looks were not as important as accuracy !! I looked at many from the 17th and 18th century and the really good ones were quite well made and with care !!   Perhaps you can take it to a museum for their opinion !! But without a name on it,,no way to know much more than you do now !!  Really should have gotten the history while your G-ma was alive !!