Author Topic: Needlework  (Read 1864 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Needlework
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:24 am »
New find in a small shop . Needlework very faded but looks to me very familiar in composition .  So any idea what country  and maybe from ? The Netherlands do not have beaches with rocks so must be from outside this country . And date maybe ? To me it looks late 1900 early 20th century but could be wrong . And maybe a artist name could come up ?

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Needlework
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:21 am »
These were typically home projects not art pieces !! Frame is not old,, my guess would be 1940`s or so !! Used to be able to get kits like this,, either iron on transfers or chalk type that was dusted on the front through the pattern, and dusted off when complete so no lines showed !!  Looked like you designed it yourself !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
The subject almost looks as if it was adapted from a scene at Barafundle Bay Beach in Wales. ???

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:34:45 pm »
Looks like it has dry rot in the top corner.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:49 pm »
Well this needlework is from 1912 and the initials are there also from the maker .  Left this thing on the shop for a week because I was hesitating in buying but now I like it a lot more . Now I need to figure out the initials and help appreciated off course . And maybe some names that will come in mind if made by artist ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:17:58 pm by gerspee »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »
I have an antique chair with needlepoint. The arms are the same as your picture.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »
Same composition ?  I think this needlework must be or English or American made by the use off the not very Dutch beach scenery . In 1912 people did not travel so much and had the pictures there to use and to copy into a needlework . 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:19:19 pm »
 Frame is from mid century, crewel thread used early 20th century to present time,, buttons as simplistic as that cannot date accurately,, the fabric is still used for crewel embroidery and the loops used to hang it can still be bought today !!
You ask for our opinion but yet you don`t give us all the information necessary to make a reasonable determination !!
Please get all the info here at the start !!  Saves a lot of time for both of us !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:39:12 pm »
Very simple to explain .  the year and initials later in the post is that I have taken the needlework off the frame at 20.30 tonight to make the pictures off the date and initials from the frontside . The where behind the frame so not to be seen without dismantling .  So nothing done on purpose to make it more difficult but just a idea to find the date and makers initials

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:55:32 pm »
These were not done by artists !!  Most were done by young ladies or simply women in the home that wanted a handwork piece to decorate with !! Not all could afford art so they made their own !! There is really no way to find out which housewife with those initials did it !! At least none that I know of !!