Author Topic: 1775 year US military ring (gold & diamond). Need help in evaluating  (Read 4243 times)

imarkhulia

• View Profile
Hi. This is a ring I got from my grandfather. It says United STates Army on it and date on the side 1775. It`s probably gift to veterans of American revolution. It`s gold (not sure how many K) and a huge diamond. Can anyone help to estimate the value of this ring and origin/history of it? Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: 1775 year US military ring (gold & diamond). Need help in evaluating
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »
It should have the gold mark on the inside,..i,m not sure in what denomination,s it rises in the US..i think maybe its 10k 14k .. and so on..if however if its only showing a k ..this may be because its worn..which would then indicate that it has a higher gold content..as the softer the metal the higher the gold...its weight in gr..will also help determine its value...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

imarkhulia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »
HI, thanks for response. I van barely see, but i think it says 750. weight is 24gr and diameter of the diamond is ~6.5mm. How do you think, can it have any historical value?

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
Imark,

Hi and welcome!

Your ring looks like a typical US Army class ring, which graduates normally order for themselves.  If you google "US Army Class Ring", you can get loads of images.  These class rings were normally bought with cabochon crystals or semi-precious stones.

Do you know if your relative celebrated a milestone in their military career? Something that might have prompted his family to take out the cabochon and replace it with the other stone?

I am no expert, so take my observations with a grain of salt. Others here might have more info or a differing theory.

Good luck!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
That's the date/year the US Army was founded not the date of the ring !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »
750 is =  to 18k gold...which means that the ring is 75% gold and 25% alloy....at todays gold price the gold alone is worth approx 24 x $30..then you have to factor in the carat of the Diamond...if thats what it is...i doubt that it will be, for as Mutley has said its more likely to be a semi-precious stone....but if it is,nt then...an evaluation of the stone will be needed to ascertain it value....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
Not much value in the ring other than whatever gold it has !!  You might want to check the center stone though !! Looks like it was a home job !!

imarkhulia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:24:59 pm »
Thanks everyone for response. I received the answer to the main question, if the ring has any historical value.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:01 pm »
as Mart says...its value is in the gold...if you deduct say..a couple of gr, for the stone, then its 22 x $30 ..which is $660...or there abouts.......then the stone..if it is indeed a diamond.....as to its  historical value..it only has that value ...if you can link it to someone,..and show it being worn..or were they involved in an heroic act ..other than that, i,d say no....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:03:16 pm »
These rings were not awards,,just something the soldiers purchased !! You can still buy them !!
When was your grandfather born ??
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:09:18 pm by mart »

imarkhulia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:42:12 pm »
He would have been in at end of WWII or Korea most likely !! Was he career Army ??  Just curious because my hubby was in a bit later but same wars !!  He was career Army,,20 years !! My hubby was born in 32 so could have been in at same time !!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:21:04 pm by mart »

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »
You should get the stone looked at. Quite possibly the ring's been made or altered with the diamond claw set within the ring. Also more likely it's a diamond if the ring is 18 carat, stamped 750 than on something more modern stamped 10k or 14k