Author Topic: China Cabinet and Buffet Table -Not sure what I have...  (Read 1277 times)

Squire

• View Profile
China Cabinet and Buffet Table -Not sure what I have...
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »
I've owned the 2 pictured items for close to 22 years. My wife and I purchased them from a friend (in addition to a dining room table and 8 chairs, which have long since bit the dust) for $3,000. The friend (not sure what he paid) bought the pieces at an estate sale in Gross Pt., Michigan in the late 1980's. Since we'll be moving shortly, I'm considering parting with these items but I really have no idea how much -or little- they might actually be worth. I have looked all over both of these pieces (on the back, undersides, inside drawers etc.) and I cannot for the life of me find the name of a manufacturer or date. I tried browsing on line, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

If anyone can offer any information whatsoever, I'd be very appreciative (I realize there isn't much to go on... I just don't know where to start). Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: China Cabinet and Buffet Table -Not sure what I have...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:06 pm »
they are chunky pieces..thats for sure,...as for a needle in a haystack...this place revels in finding needles in haystacks,,,,,i don,t have a clue as to their worth....but one things for sure,....if they were mine..i would,nt do what i normally do with these kind of pieces....thats, chop them up for firewood,....i,d be keeping them....cos i love them....i love the  craftsmanship....th ey look Germanic....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:42 am »
Furniture mfrs rarely marked their furniture !! Your hutch/sideboard with the William & Mary style pulls would be Jacobean Revival style and would date from the teens through about 1920 give or take a few years.  It was quite popular back then but not so much today !! The heavy style of the Jacobean revival and the Empire revival make them very hard to sell for more than a couple of hundred each !! Yours does have some bookmatched veneer so it would have been a quality piece at the time !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:02:40 am »
I agree with Mart on this. The plus side is they appear to be in very good condition. Refinishing these is difficult as the color is often in the finish and not in the wood stain. The legs are turned from several pieces of wood glued together. If you start to take the finish down the mismatched wood becomes exposed and is a challenge even for expert color matchers like Mart.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:26:43 pm »
Been there,, done that Frogpatch !! Don`t want to repeat it !!