Author Topic: need help identifying possible english (birmingham?) silver cigarette case  (Read 9544 times)

Ipcress

When do people think this was made ?

mart

• View Profile
Style says to me late teens to early 20`s !!

Ipcress

See the case design for me is later than that.

I'm interested in that anchor mark - the stock section is halfway down - and have e-mailed the assay office.

jmclements

• View Profile
Wow. Thank you. Thats smart. I wouldnt have ever thought to do that.

jmclements

• View Profile
Heres a better picture of the anchor.. also they tested it and said it was silver ( not silver plate).. i have not independently tested it myself . I trust them.  hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:48:17 am by jmclements »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Smart move on that one Ipcress!  Can't wait to hear what they have to say!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

I rang the girl i know and she's out the office til tomorrow but will get back to me.

icedgold10

• View Profile
Heres a better picture of the anchor.. also they tested it and said it was silver ( not silver plate).. i have not independently tested it myself . I trust them.  hope this helps.
Who are they?  You say you trust them.  Was it an antique store, an individual or someone random?  Just curious why you haven't tried testing it yourself.  An acid test is very inexpensive.  I just got one.

jmclements

• View Profile
.... i cant afford an acid test kit right now so am unable to test myself.... not unwilling- Just broke . How much was your kit? I guess i could always go to my jeweler but i feel its unnecessary. I can get my money back if they lied. Thats why i trust them .

Ipcress

Don't use an acid test on anything like this. Most decent jewellers or pawnbrokers will have a laser gun which can verify the type of metal.

icedgold10

• View Profile
Don't use an acid test on anything like this. Most decent jewellers or pawnbrokers will have a laser gun which can verify the type of metal.
Laser gun... they are fancy! 

icedgold10

• View Profile
.... i cant afford an acid test kit right now so am unable to test myself.... not unwilling- Just broke . How much was your kit? I guess i could always go to my jeweler but i feel its unnecessary. I can get my money back if they lied. Thats why i trust them .

When tight on money always start investing small and work your way up.  Take it to your local pawn shop and act like you are thinking of selling it just to get some free information.  Just tell them you want to think about it a bit and leave .  If these people would refund you if it wasn't what they said you should be safe that it is sterling.  Have to say too I have never seen marks like that on plate before.

mart

• View Profile
I thought about the Deco era but decided it just wasn`t right since it an English piece !! If it were made here I would have put it later !!

I am interested in what that third mark is !!

Ipcress

So i'm on my hols, listening to a podcast about WWI before i nod off and it reminds me of a group of German medals and ephemera i catalogued. One item was the soldier's German silver cigarette case. The medals were WWII but the design of the case was strikingly similar to this,
I wonder if that mark we haven't seen a close up off is an 800 silver mark and the case was imported ? I'm also reminded of the little conversation Rauville and i had about Hoffmann.

Look at the cases in these listings

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/19739002_a-late-victorian-silver-vesta-a-german-cigarette-case

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/18383886_german-cigarette-case-800-silver
( on that badge, the military " tinnie " has been added later )

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
.... i cant afford an acid test kit right nowjavascript:void(0); so am unable to test myself.... not unwilling- Just broke . How much was your kit? I guess i could always go to my jeweler but i feel its unnecessary. I can get my money back if they lied. Thats why i trust them .

When tight on money always start investing small and work your way up.  Take it to your local pawn shop and act like you are thinking of selling it just to get some free information.  Just tell them you want to think about it a bit and leave .  If these people would refund you if it wasn't what they said you should be safe that it is sterling.  Have to say too I have never seen marks like that on plate before.
Great piece of Advice, Ice...here...i,m getting good at this rhyming  ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,