Author Topic: need help identifying possible english (birmingham?) silver cigarette case  (Read 9546 times)

jmclements

• View Profile
Hi. I have searched high and low and am stumped.
I have no idea who made this , when , or even how much silver it is .  Has Hallmarks ( W. L)  WITH what looks like a sideways birmingham,  england  - anchor  and then the third hallmark - i just cannot make out .. maybe an 8  ?  I also have no idea as to what the value of it is.  Please help me. I paid 150 dollars ... i am hoping to resell it-  as i shouldnt have spent the money to begin with . It would be very helpful to find out exactly what i just got myself into.
Thanks guys,
-J

jmclements

• View Profile
Here are some more pics of the halmarks

jmclements

• View Profile
And another one

mart

• View Profile
Walter Lunt, Birmingham silversmith !!  Can`t see the other one !!

jmclements

• View Profile
I thought so too.. I just didnt want to "lead" anyone ..  i wanted a fresh answer, ya know?  .... the two WL 's  for birmingham looked so similar-   Also i cant seem to find another case like mine. i googled every phrase imaginable ......
My questions:
 1)Do you know how old it could be ?
2)Whats up with the sideways birmingham  Anchor mark?
3)How much should something like this cost? i paid 150 and need to know what to price it at so i can sell it -probably either locally or on ebay. Its gotta go asap.
4)lastly-  Is it indeed a cigarette case like I thought?

sorry about the 20 questions-   Uk hallmarks are really foreign to me..  If you are good with hallmark Identification- i hate to ask - but  could you please try and help me out with 3  Pre russian revolutionary spoons  that i have  from the late 1800's?  I will post them Seperately . Thanks again, friend.
-J
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:39:00 pm by jmclements »

jmclements

• View Profile
Here is a full shot of it. I am having trouble uploading more than one photo per post.

mart

• View Profile
Resize and make your pics smaller, then they will load !!  What size is it and take a pic with it open !!  You might try a cigarette and see how it fits !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
The pics are loading for me.  If it's a cigarette case solid silver what I saw on Ebay was a range of $139-$595.  Couldn't find any by that silversmith though.

mart

• View Profile
Where did you buy this case ?? My opinion is you will be lucky to break even on it !!

jmclements

• View Profile
Estate sale.

Ipcress

Doubt it's Walter Lunt. Unusual anchor mark, too.

jmclements

• View Profile
Additional pics

jmclements

• View Profile
And lastly

mart

• View Profile
Doubt it's Walter Lunt. Unusual anchor mark, too.

Mark was identical,, any other you know of ??

Ipcress

Lunt has a full stop between the W and L, can't see one here. Also, Lunt wasn't known for cigarette cases.

Most cases i know of are marked internally. Seems strange that this should have a rarely seen anchor mark placed in such an inappropriate position.