Author Topic: Arabic Metal Bowl?  (Read 9592 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Arabic Metal Bowl?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 03:37:42 am »
oooooooooooooo!!...Classy.....or maybe i should call you Pinocchio....."After doing some research this is what I believe to be A fine antique 19thC Mamluk Revival Islamic bowl of hand hammered Brass with Copper & Silver"....now i wonder where you found ....19thC Mamluk Islamic Revival"......need i continue..... ;D ;D ;D ;D....this is, what  is called....caught with yer panties down.... ;D

Not really Wullie !!  I have done additional research on some items after listing it on ebay !! Not often but occasionally you want to know more to help your sale potential !!
  ;D..you missed my point Mart,i was not referring to their research....what i,m on about is its source, ...i found it all, and,if you had read the first post on this bowl, ..nowhere has it been called a Mamluk...then i found and posted links,...then hey presto..this bowl has become a rare Mamluk Revival bowl..which its not,.thats what i,m laughing about.....aye...som etimes i wonder aboot you....lots of brains and.......well, i,ll keep that tae maself..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »
Classy, it is helpful to others on the forum if you give the information that you have on an item.  The forum members are people that are willing to give of their time/resources to help YOU research YOUR item for FREE!  They can either reinforce the findings you have already come to know, or come up with other information for you to reconsider your position of origin and use.  We have had too many times over the years people that hide information (for whatever reasons) that come to pass after many have spent hours laboring to HELP!  It becomes rather disheartening to many because all we want is the facts, suspicions/stories/background of said items and then research to help reinforce or dispute.

We look forward to continued posts from you and hope that you will be conscientious of those giving of their time.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »
Classy, it is helpful to others on the forum if you give the information that you have on an item.  The forum members are people that are willing to give of their time/resources to help YOU research YOUR item for FREE!  They can either reinforce the findings you have already come to know, or come up with other information for you to reconsider your position of origin and use.  We have had too many times over the years people that hide information (for whatever reasons) that come to pass after many have spent hours laboring to HELP!  It becomes rather disheartening to many because all we want is the facts, suspicions/stories/background of said items and then research to help reinforce or dispute.

We look forward to continued posts from you and hope that you will be conscientious of those giving of their time.
I think I,m gonna Scream!!.....you,ve missed the point as well KC,....Classy "did  Not"...withhold any info....note...did not.....if you,d read my post properly....and that goes for you too...Mart....you will have seen that..i found the link...but....Class y used it to list the bowl on ebay...but the info i found does not pertain to that bowl.....are you still with me.... ;D

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 03:50:54 pm »
I get it.  haha  I think someone jumped the gun as we say.

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 04:20:20 pm »
With Holding info. Is a Common practice, Regardless if it by accident or deliberate.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:17 pm »
With Holding info. Is a Common practice, Regardless if it by accident or deliberate.
..That,s it. i,m Screammmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmming....... no one has witheld any info...if you read the posts..you,ll understand....

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »
nothing more then a simple comment.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »
..That,s it. i,m Screammmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmming....... no one has witheld any info...if you read the posts..you,ll understand....
Here is something to help ya Bigwull

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:54 pm »
My best sorta guess , @ the moment .... your item may be Tibetan in origin , as in a 'singing bowl' ... rather ornate for one , but have seen some that were , many moons ago .
You might try giving it a gentle 'thump' with a finger & see if it does have a nice 'mellow' tone to it .

The only thing for sure is that it looks like brass from here , Classy .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:09:03 pm by regularjoe2 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:09 pm »
Here is something to help ya Bigwull
Thankyou for that Ice.... ;D.....Looks like me in 1969....out of ma tree, on my first ever tab..of acid....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »

Can see the reasoning behind your line of thought...RJ2...but a Tibetan singing bowl...does,nt have a raised foot..and its mouth is the wrong shape,..it would have to be curved in...and not out like this one.....for if it did..it would,nt sing....the base woul;d kill any attempt for the bowl to sing...as would its mouth.....as for it being ..brass....the hue of it is more like copper,..and copper is a good deal more softer  than brass,.....and if you look to the left of the inscription you can see what looks like a small dent....with also leads me to think its copper,..coupled with what looks like traces of a white metal inlay...

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 12:52:42 am »
I hear you , bigwull .

Looks like brass to me  ;) !
Whatever it is , I'd suggest stopping the oxidation & giving it a coat or two of wax or mineral oil as a protectant , Classy (or if you wish , simulate patina with a coat of brown or black shoe polish :-\) .

Kinda wondering how the base (looks stamped-out) is affixed to the body & if this item was stamped-out from sheet , or spun (plus maybe a shot of the bottom of the item) .

Looks modern craft-work (less than 30) to me , all in all , esp when lacking patina & several spots of oxidation here & there .

Would make a good busy 'designer' piece , catch-all or nut bowl in my home (not knocking it , though) !

Classy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:53 am »
oooooooooooooo!!...Classy.....or maybe i should call you Pinocchio....."After doing some research this is what I believe to be A fine antique 19thC Mamluk Revival Islamic bowl of hand hammered Brass with Copper & Silver"....now i wonder where you found ....19thC Mamluk Islamic Revival"......need i continue..... ;D ;D ;D ;D....this is, what  is called....caught with yer panties down.... ;D

Not really Wullie !!  I have done additional research on some items after listing it on ebay !! Not often but occasionally you want to know more to help your sale potential !!

Yeah I updated it as to be honest I have no clue, everyone has told me a different country, Thailand, India, Eygpt lol everyone says something different, it's a mystery!!

Ipcress

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:36 am »

Yeah I updated it as to be honest I have no clue, everyone has told me a different country, Thailand, India, Eygpt lol everyone says something different, it's a mystery!!

First character on the left looks Thai. I think it's far more likely to be Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc than Arabic. Those little flicks and straight lines are not Arabic.

Interesting to find out but i expect will have very little influence on the value. Seems quite modern

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 10:28:34 am »

:D ....correction..... we never tell anyone..that what they have is exactly what we say...unless we see an exact copy   in black & white ..before our own eyes....then we can say catagorically...yes this is ....yes ...you have....whatever it is.....