Author Topic: Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia - 1913 Third Edition  (Read 3581 times)

btcomp

• View Profile
Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia - 1913 Third Edition
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
I have this book which belonged to my late grandfather, born in 1876-1935. It is Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia and is in good condition on the pages. On the first white page is his name and street he lived on. The address is a bit different then the address my dad was born on, so I am thinking that he lived in two homes on the street, which I am researching in my ancestry. I didn't discover this until my dad passed and got the book. The back cover though is not attached to the spine, so it would need to be reattached.

I have seen copies of this book going for over 200 dollars, and with more wear than this one. So I am guessing it may be worth close to 200 dollars.

btcomp

• View Profile
Re: Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia - 1913 Third Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:15:36 pm »
Here is one more page, the book information.

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:53:55 pm »
I will have to try and find the pages I bookmarked that showed much higher. But it may be it's not as much. I wonder if this seller had any problem selling it? He may have had it priced much lower than it's worth! If it's only 25 dollars, I will hang onto. Thanks Rauville. ;-)

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:27:08 pm »

The one Rauville linked to seems to have a " school edition " binding

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »
The one Rauville listed looks identical to mine. And the EBayer is from Detroit, which is the same of my grandfather. My cover is darker blue, BUT I also have a picture with the bright blue color the EBayer has. It's just the light that struck the book, so I retook the picture to get the true color. By the way, my grandfather worked as a craftsman for the Fisher Brothers, that became Fisher Body. I have a picture of him in the shop. I have some of his old tools in two large chests. My dad never would part with them, because they were his dads. He never used the tools in them. I'm not sure what to do with them. But I am thinking that I may end up just letting them go to the museum of my choice. My main thing is to look for some other things to sell, as I have to raise some money before a new job starts in next month, I hope! You can see magazines I posted a year ago, I have tried to sell. I have hundreds of them, most in great condition. http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=12857.msg79394#msg79394

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:58 pm »
Yes, i meant to say that the ones selling for more do not have the school edition stamped to the upper board, they have the Gasoline text in the title.

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:16:26 pm »
Mine has the Michigan State Auto School Detroit, Michigan, so it must be a school edition too? I also have to check the 1910, 1920 censuses to see where my grandfather lived. I have looked at before, but never paid attention to the street number. My dad was born at 6518 Mitchell & my grandfather's book shows him living at 944 Mitchell Ave? I will have to Google Earth them both! If either place was still standing I would drive down and take pictures. I was born in the home they moved to on a Filer Avenue in Detroit.

BTW I have my grandfather, who was a Tomaszewski, as was my dad. My dad changed his name to Thomas in 1941. I am not sure when/if my grandfather changed his. Both my grandmother (died 1976 & my grandfather) are buried in Romeo, Michigan north of Detroit, and the family had the name Tomaszewski as their last names. I have John Tomaszewski's birth certificate, though Polish he was born in then called Austria.

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »
Here is one of the links I had found. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8776482732 Granted it is an earlier edition. Well I may just put it up for 100 dollars on Craigslist and leave it there a while.  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »
Go to ebay and search for your book, then look on the left for completed listings !! Click on that to see actual selling prices !!

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:20 am »
Thanks Mart, I have used this before, but have forgotten. Might be easier to sell this book on EBay anyway. With Craigslist you have to know where the market is and you are only supposed to sell in one location at a time, which is unfortunate.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:50 pm »
Yes I am well aware of that !! That is one of its drawbacks !! I have a classic car listed now that I am having to move around !! Craigslist would be much better if you could just transfer the current ad from town to town !! What I dislike is having to redo the entire ad, pics and all every time you change locations !!  CL is great for big stuff but an item like your book would likely do better on ebay since it has more traffic !!