Author Topic: Help with bikini bunny shakers, Please.  (Read 7387 times)

screemineagle7

• View Profile
Re: Help with bikini bunny shakers, Please.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:51:05 am »
How were they used?

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:57:27 am »
I found the description. Thanks a ton Rauville for the link for the pie birds. and thanks to every one else for helping. Compared to other forums you guys are awesome.

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:12 pm »
Pie Bird is more commonly used regard less if there birds or not. and a pie vent they are not. The whole bottom would be open.

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »
Well Dewain, You make a valid point, all the pie birds I see on eBay do not sit flat on the bottom to allow steam to vent But If these were used as a pie bird this would explain all the crazing in the ceramic coating and would also explain why they were made so thick. They are really heavy duty ceramic. I don't know, that's why I came here for help. So far a pie bird makes the most sense unless some one else has a better idea..

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »
I "2nd" that "whoa" by KC, ..... those are not shakers.

Me thinks sometimes "holes" are put into ceramic pieces if they are to be "fired".

Like "dishwasher safe" or "oven proof", .....its "kiln proof".  ;D ;D ;D

HA, punching holes in top = "pie proofing".  ;D ;D ;D

I think you might have it: http://www.piebird.net/animals.html

WHOA, ..... sorry bout the confusion but I wasn't implying they were "pie birds" ...... just that the holes in them had the same function as does holes punched in top of piecrust. ...... To release the "pressure" of the hot gasses.

The holes in Screemin's ceremic pieces .... could be "stress relief" holes for all I know, .... but I do know they are not s&p shakers or pie birds ..... but if she owns them she can call them whatever she wants to.. 

With those little holes in the bottoms ...... I'd never let them two even get close to hot pie filling. :D

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:53 pm »
well I guess I just list them for sale as figurines and state they could be used for something else. I wanted to know what they were so I knew what category to list them under and I didn't want to misrepresent them. Thanks again for every ones help and if some one knows what they are or would like them please feel free to chime in. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »
Just describe them accurately and do what I do,, tell the truth,,that you don`t know what they are !!  Then tell what others have suggested they may be !! Could be that someone out in auctionland may clue you in !!  Then you can tell us what they are !!  :D

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 05:22:53 pm »
I always truthfully describe things the best that I can. That's why when I couldn't find anything like it I turned here for help and I am grateful for your responses. If some one informs me of what they are or I find out, I will be sure to let all of you in on the secret treasures name.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »
If you search vintage or antique pie vents, or pie funnels you will find more than birds.  You will see lots with big holes on the bottom and some with small holes.  You will see some as animals and some not.  Some with big holes on top and some with smaller.  Some with flat bottoms, platforms, wedges and feet.

But something about this is bugging me...Can any of the oldies around here remember an old thread several years back that the figurines had unusual holes?  (Was a horse or cow - maybe Elsie the Cow?)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 08:20:53 pm »
Vaguely remember something about a cow !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 02:35:15 am »
Like playing horseshoes, my 1st post was ...... "close enough to count".   ;D

Me thinks sometimes "holes" are put into ceramic pieces if they are to be "fired".

Like "dishwasher safe" or "oven proof", .....its "kiln proof".  ;D ;D ;D

But I'll be ..... "right on the money, next time" ..... and you can be too iffen you read the following text "segments" that I copied from the included link address, to wit:

==========

Slip Casting - Clues to Modern Ceramic Reproductions

Large holes (much larger than air vent holes) on the bottom of figurines are also signs of slip casting.

These holes are left by pouring out the liquid slip that did not cling to the walls of the plaster mold. These are usually dime to quarter-size or larger in diameter.

Slip is poured out the open top of pitchers and out the bottom of figurines.

The tell-tale marks of figurines made by slip casting are large holes in the bottom from which the slip was poured in and out of the mold.

Fig. 6 Don't confuse "firing holes" or "vent holes" like the example here from an old Staffordshire figure, with the large holes left by slip casting.

Small holes from 1/16" to about an 1/8", were needed to let expanding gas escape hollow pieces during the firing of old pottery and ceramics[/i].

Read more @ http://www.realorrepro.com/article/Slip-casting

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:43 am »
WOW Cougar. You really went the distance. I don't know what I could do to repay you for finding that info other then to say thank you very much and you are a scholar. I have posted questions on other forums for different topics and never had anyone come close to your willingness to help. You are definitely an asset to this forum. 

screemineagle7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 02:47:41 am »
Cogar... After all that I go an mess up the spelling of your name. Geez LoL

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 03:28:09 am »
WOW Cougar. You really went the distance. I don't know what I could do to repay you for ....

No charge, Screemin, ...... and we all "go the distance" to help those in need if at all possible. As the saying goes, .... "2 ... or 3 or 4 heads are better than one".

And I guess it was just "my turn" to get lucky .... in providding you an acceptable answer to your quandary.

And that's OK, Screemin, ... call me anything except late for dinner.  ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:59 am »
Cogar, I understand the slip hole/s on the bottom of the pieces - but that doesn't explain the hole on the top.

In fact, I believe it was Elsie the Cow (a old post of yours) that we were trying to figure out the 2 holes on her rump.  Does that sound familiar?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!