Author Topic: Conant Ball Table... Any Thoughts??  (Read 6878 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Conant Ball Table... Any Thoughts??
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »
Like Bigwull said,,mixing of woods is not unusual and if this had say a maple top with oak base would not be out of the ordinary !! But pine is a cheaper secondary wood !! That's why we are skeptical of it being original to the base !!  And the fact that someone had done something to it sets off alarm bells !! I saw no where, in all I read on the company, that pine was ever used by them and would not be their style to do so !! Especially since they were a quality manufacturer !!   Not saying its impossible,, but just not likely !!

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 01:33:43 pm »
It's not uncommon to have pine and oak tables.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »
why am i not surprised.... ::)..i know its not..in fact i,m sitting at one that has a pine core with a mahogany exterior...but the pine is only used as a strengthener.....bu t then you already knew that...seeing as how you,ll be a  master carpenter of bespoke furniture....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 01:54:26 pm »

From what I saw and read,,I said it would be unlikely a combination from this particular mfr !! But not impossible !!
Guess someone could have gotten a wild hair and tried it !!

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:19 pm »
I agree with Mart.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »

From what I saw and read,,I said it would be unlikely a combination from this particular mfr !! But not impossible !!
Guess someone could have gotten a wild hair and tried it !!

A couple other thoughts:
For a company that prided itself in clarity of design, this table seems anything bit. Maybe it was a "lunch hour" piece made by a worker to take home as a surprise gift for the Wife! ;)

And what happens when a manufacturing plant shuts down? Usually, there is an auction where bidders haul away pallets of pieces and parts. Any enterprising individual could have assembled a factory made top and base unit, and called it a table.

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 02:57:12 pm »
why am i not surprised.... ::)..i know its not..in fact i,m sitting at one that has a pine core with a mahogany exterior...but the pine is only used as a strengthener.....bu t then you already knew that...seeing as how you,ll be a  master carpenter of bespoke furniture....

I was replying to the general tone of comments from the previous page about pine and oak used on the same table.
I know my stuff, Wull. Unlike you i rarely comment on something i don't know about, date furniture by the piece of newspaper stuck to it or tell someone to burn / scrap a £125 sideboard.

You're a child. Persistent sarcastic, immature comments, with the odd racist one throw in, and i've had it with you.