Author Topic: Antique Mental Stand Identification-Value Help  (Read 1895 times)

Jagage

• View Profile
Antique Mental Stand Identification-Value Help
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:54:52 am »
I found this stand in an attic that was screwed shut with two other items. The stand is made of cast and my father a machinist/engineer gave me a hypothesis of pre 1930 with the way  the metal is made and cast.

26.5 Inches Tall 
12.5 Inch Diameter of the plate on top

The bottom unthreads and the plate on top is not cast iron, maybe some type of tin.

Any help  or insight would be amazing. I look forward to chatting with the antique guru's on this site.

Thank you for looking!

Jagage

• View Profile
Re: Antique Mental Stand Identification-Value Help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:56:10 am »
Sorry the pictures are upside down or sideways ...still getting use to the ipad.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:07 am »
Welcome to the forum !! Nice find !!  Looks to be a smoking stand !!  Where are you located ?? U.S. ??

Jagage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:15:59 am »
Western New York. I found a oval piece of wood that is a pyrography artwork (woodburning by hand) and an old oval frame with the glass that curves out but the glass was broken :(

I don't think the items found next to it have much to do with the stands origin but it's possible.

Thank you, after viewing a lot of the posts it seems to be a mature forum. Seems like a nice crowd that has a vast combined knowledge.

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:47 am »
Sorry the pictures are upside down or sideways ...still getting use to the ipad.

Think it's the forum / server which flips the photos. Perfectly fine if clicking on the attachment

Jagage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:28 am »
Thats a relief lol, I wanted to make sure I followed the directions for making a post. If there is any constructive critism on what else to add I would  love to know. Location for instance....totally forgot that lol.

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:11:49 am »
Sometimes it helps with ID if a general description is given,,height,size or other details !! You are there and can see much better than we can just looking at a pic !! And also any marks you might find !!  I would say your father is correct about timeline ,,looks like 20`s or so art nouveau style !! Sad about the glass on the artwork !! Post a pic of the artwork,,would love to see it !!

Jagage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:40 am »
Thats dust on it, it looks like it was done with a pastel chalk or something. I'm ignorant to old paintings and frames other than google and Soooo many links are ignorant or intentionally wrong. What do you think?

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:26 am »
I'am thinking Rococo Revival Circa 1860's. Cast Iron was popular dureing the Empire Revival as well. But does not fit that Nitch.

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 11:38:32 am »
As to the photo. It appears to be a Victorian reproduction Frame. Photo added later looks to be 1940's.