Author Topic: Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Bracelet  (Read 2110 times)

Kevin_Bones

Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Bracelet
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:26:37 pm »
Hi,

I ended up buying a bracelet in a box lot. It is very tarnished and hard to read the markings on the inside. I looked at a couple of pages trying to find a mark similar to any of these but couldn't find anything. On the inside of the bracelet, it says "Mexico 925", "Mexico", and "Sterling" all around. There is another marking but I can't make it out because it is half tarnished. Does anybody here know about Mexico sterling silver pieces? I am suspicious of this bracelet being fake.

Thanks

Kevin_Bones

Re: Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Bracelet
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:27:09 pm »

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:49:36 pm »
There's some information on Mexican silver here:
http://jacksonjewels.com/Reference/Silver_Jewerly_Information_Hallmarks.htm

It sounds as if your bracelet would be in the 1950's to 1970's era. In 1979 the Mexican government required a registry mark be stamped on silver jewelry.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »
Agree with what Rauville put about the requirement by the Mexican government to have a registry mark.  (But being next to Mexico and seeing lots of items that flow into the US in our neck of the woods, that doesn't always happen!  Right Mart?)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »
So true !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »
Many of the artist signed the jewelry they made.  That may be what the mark is.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:15:34 pm »
Its marked 925 its the same silver purity as ours !!  Even for melt,,silver is silver and worth keeping !!  Just start a little pile and when you get a bunch of it,,sell !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:49:51 pm »
Hold on to that for a bit.  Silver is low right now and those still sell well.  Gold is poised to be dropping soon and silver will go on the upswing.  Wait a bit and you will do well on that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:45 pm »
Silver is used in so many industrial applications that it won`t likely stay low !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:43 pm »
Looks like your little item(s) could use a clean-up (sometimes helps seeing marks/details) ... since they're not antiques , I'd just give them a hot water wash with dish soap & then get a non-metalic bowl & add hot water & a spoon of baking soda --- put a piece of aluminum foil (a little bigger than the item being de-tarnished) in the bottom of the bowl & set your (suspected) silver atop it ... should take just a min or two ; rinse well with hot water afterwards .

The one bracelet looks like silver-plate over copper (but silver often appears like copper or gold in photos) ... doing the above cleaning should/will reveal if any of your items are plated , Kevin_Bones .

I can't see for beans , from your images , though ... I'd just give the suggestion to check out some Taxco silver marks (major center of silverworking , South o' the border)  sometimes a Taxco mark will draw a customer &  a buck or 2 more !

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:41 am »
Thanks everyone. I was looking at some Taxco marks but I can't see well enough to identify what mark it might be. I will throw it in a pile in my barn and wait until I have more sterling to sell. I like that idea ;D