Author Topic: Unique Stiffel Table Lamp  (Read 1912 times)

chameleon

• View Profile
Unique Stiffel Table Lamp
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »
Received a unique Stiffel Table Lamp last year and recently have begun to research it. It has been taken to the local lamp store where a new shade was purchased, but the gentleman couldn't give too much information other than that it is a Stiffel. The pair of us working on the research haven't quite found any other Stiffel that looks like this one... Raises up and down on the squared brass center tube. We do not have confirmation that it is a Tommi Parzinger, but are eager to learn if it is or not. If anyone has seen a lamp similar to this or has any information, it will be greatly appreciated.  I have attached some photos, as seeing is better than trying to describe it....

mart

• View Profile
Re: Unique Stiffel Table Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:49:02 pm »
There is another post here about Stiffel lamps you might want to read that has some info !!  There were several variations of adjustable table lamps by Stiffel !!  As was said in the other post as far as can be found, there is no documented evidence that Parzinger ever designed for Stiffel !! That's why the lamps you see say "attributed to" or "in the style of" Tommi Parzinger !! Not that one was ever signed by him or was it on the Stiffel label !!

Pale Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:04 pm »
There is another post here about Stiffel lamps you might want to read that has some info !!  There were several variations of adjustable table lamps by Stiffel !!  As was said in the other post as far as can be found, there is no documented evidence that Parzinger ever designed for Stiffel !! That's why the lamps you see say "attributed to" or "in the style of" Tommi Parzinger !! Not that one was ever signed by him or was it on the Stiffel label !!

It is hard to get a good look at the lamp with the radiator in the back ground.. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »
Yes !! We really need a solid background to get a good look at your lamp !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:40 am »
I am going to try this by memory. I sold Stiffel lamps from 1979 to 1993. I remember this lamp as being in the showroom around 1980. I believe it was a limited edition. Do not polish it. Just keep it clean. Stiffel lamps are not solid brass but have a fine brass finish. Polishing will remove the protective coating and the finish will tarnish unevenly. A lamp like this would have sold for around 200.00 back then. Hang on to it. It is a very nice and rare Stiffel. It did not sell well like the classic hose nozzle table lamps and glass table floor lamps. I searched everywhere online and could not find another one. If I remember it came with a choice of a black or beige shade.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:35:47 am by frogpatch »

chameleon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:29 am »
Frog patch- A thousand thank yous for responding professionally. Your knowledge is very respectable. We can only hope to help you out someday!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:49 pm »
Glad I can help. When stuff you sold when new shows up in antique shops it can be a rude awakening. I see lamps from Italy from the 70s sold as Victorian and chrome modern pieces from the same time sold as Deco or Mid Century. It was the chrome and glass tacky period, and the crushed velvet very tacky period.