Author Topic: african mask from ?  (Read 3896 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: african mask from ?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 11:02:36 am »
Correct me if I am wrong...but is this even a mask?  From the looks of the back in the pic it is solid and not made in an actual mask form?  Could just be the pic!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:08:42 am »
Mart, are you talking about what appears to be bookends that are either phoenix or pterodactyl?

Thank you for posting these pics.  I can now show the better half that there are others out there....   LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:39 am »
Yes you're right here and it's called a Ancestor mask but flat at the back to put in your house to be protected by your ancestors .  Like nowadays a picture off my mother in law in the front door will do the trick ? ;D

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:50:01 am »
And here's some pictures off the jar Ipcress was asking for

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »
This is the wrong one. I meant the one with the leaf motif. That's why i said jug, not jar. :)

That's Japanese, not English transfer printed. They copied some of our styles so they were popular for export. Looks like Mason's or other stoneware but it's definitely Japanese.

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »
Thanks and did not know that about the Japanese copies so learnt again . The jug you mentioned is a Delft jug dated 1630 but I don't think it's the real . To perfect for his age .  Do have some real old Dutch but needs restoring .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 04:35:25 pm »
Mart, are you talking about what appears to be bookends that are either phoenix or pterodactyl?

Thank you for posting these pics.  I can now show the better half that there are others out there....   LOL

Yes KC !!  That it !! Couldn`t tell if it was bookends or had a mirror behind it and I was seeing a reflection !!  Didn`t enlarge it !!

Ipcress

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 05:24:12 pm »
Thanks and did not know that about the Japanese copies so learnt again . The jug you mentioned is a Delft jug dated 1630 but I don't think it's the real . To perfect for his age .  Do have some real old Dutch but needs restoring .

Could i see a better image though ?

Doesn't initially look like delft, either.

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 04:16:01 am »
Here's  the Delft for you . Looks like Delfts 17th century but to perfect to be true I think .