Author Topic: need info on antique make-up compact please  (Read 1780 times)

ThisNThat

• View Profile
need info on antique make-up compact please
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:55:18 pm »
I've had this for awhile, and can't even remember where it came from. It measures 2in across, and opens on both sides. One side is blush, and the other is powder. The cloth parts to apply them are still there, and most of the powder and blush is still there, but you can tell it's been used. Anyone have an idea of whether it's made out of real gold (the edges), or if the top is silver?? (I know it's hard to tell from a pic......) Any idea of how old it is, or how much it's worth?? Thanks!!

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: need info on antique make-up compact please
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
Clara inspired makeup line  fashioned after actress Clara Bow.  Here is a Maybelline ad for it.  Probably worth around $30-$35.  Not real gold.  1930's -1940's.

ThisNThat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »
Clara inspired makeup line  fashioned after actress Clara Bow.  Here is a Maybelline ad for it.  Probably worth around $30-$35.  Not real gold.  1930's -1940's.

So did the Clara engraving come with the compact?? I thought it looked like somebody added it later.

That's very interesting, thanks! It's worth more than I thought.......
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:48:35 pm by ThisNThat »

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »
That is a factory mark and it looks raised not engraved.  Very common in the cosmetic industry.  Not a high end brand.  If you were talking Chanel, Estee Lauder or Bobbi Brown they may go to the extent of engraving.  A vintage Chanel compact can get some big money.