Author Topic: Lion and Tiger Prints 1900s  (Read 3682 times)

kadusgirl

• View Profile
Lion and Tiger Prints 1900s
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:08:06 am »
Hello,

I am in need of some information of these two prints I have. I believe they are from the same artist. I cannot seem to find any information on these. My mom told me they were giveaways with purchased furniture from a furniture company. I inherited these from my mom and I am looking for some background information on these. Any information and help is greatly appreciated! Sorry about the poor images I took them in storage...lighting was terrible.

Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Lion and Tiger Prints 1900s
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:20:51 pm »
Is there a signature on the print ??

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »
Are they in color ? or just black & white ?

kadusgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:12:05 pm »
Is there a signature on the print ??

No Signature that I could find. It would be much easier if there was!

kadusgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:14:20 pm »
Are they in color ? or just black & white ?

No colors.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:50:29 pm »
Interesting bit of information from Wikipedia:

..."The faro game was also called "bucking the tiger" or "twisting the tiger's tail", which comes from early card backs that featured a drawing of a Bengal tiger. By the mid 19th century, the tiger was so commonly associated with the game that gambling districts where faro was popular became known as "tiger town", or in the case of smaller venues, "tiger alley".[6] In fact, some gambling houses would simply hang a picture of a tiger in their windows to advertise that a game could be found within"...

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
There Nicely framed for there time. I would suggest, there Lithograph's. they could do very well on E- Bay.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:22:25 am by Rauville »

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »
That first print is a tiger Oak frame & it's nice. Vintage frame's are becoming the '' New'' Fad. some selling for as much as Two Hundred Dollars a Foot.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:45:38 pm »
The name may be under the frame if it has one !! A few are written on the back !! And some were printed in bulk from copyright free pictures and have no name at all !! If it were me I would take it out of the frame and look to see if it has a name !! The dust cove is about shot !! If you want to keep the prints without further damage,,take them out of the frame, clean the glass, buy some acid free foam core to mount behind the prints rather than the old backing, then put all back together with spacers to keep the print from touching the glass. You can use the old nails,,just put them back in the holes and tap them tight. Use anything big enough for a dust cover !!  Large paper grocery bags will work fine !!  Its a simple thing to do !! Years ago they did not use acid free backing and it damages all paper items !!  Yours probably were very colorful at one time !!

kadusgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:41:53 am »
Wow!!! Thank you Rauville, Dewain, and Mart! That is all very interesting and exciting! So now I know these pieces do not belong together. I may put them on Ebay... I need the money for college.  :-\
Thank you again for all your wonderful help! I definitely would not have been able to find this information on my own.

However I am VERY nervous to take either of them out of the frame!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:39:54 am »
If you are going to sell them, just leave them alone !! Problem with that is they will continue to discolor as the years pass !! Perhaps the new owners will do it !!  Good luck on the sale !! I know college is expensive and hope they do well for you !!

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 12:13:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with adding, The info Rauville Tracked down. It could help the value.

kadusgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 05:04:12 pm »
If you are going to sell them, just leave them alone !! Problem with that is they will continue to discolor as the years pass !! Perhaps the new owners will do it !!  Good luck on the sale !! I know college is expensive and hope they do well for you !!

You are too kind! Thank you!!!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »
If you list them please post the link.  They are very nice!